« Once more I have to ask, "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?" | Main | The #SadObama Tour »

November 15, 2016

Ode to Canned Fish

Tonnino-Tuna.jpg
Double the cost, quadruple the quality

Americans will shove just about anything in our mouths,
from e-cigarettes to dirty dollar bills at strip clubs, along with all the processed crap that passes for food in our country, yet we treat canned fish as the oceanic equivalent of potted mystery meats like SPAM, more fit for cats than humans. How come? The gag reflex is clearly culturally transmitted, one we’re taught or simply mirror by example. It isn’t inborn. | The Smart Set

Posted by gerardvanderleun at November 15, 2016 11:58 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

IF you haven't tried Riga Smoked Sprats, you don't know what you're missing!

Posted by: DrTedNelson at November 15, 2016 12:20 PM

I'd try that stuff in a second - after straining all the oil out. Yubz me sum tuna. I eat a regular can (oil or water - prefer oil) every week or so, unadorned. Straight.

I eat a can of spam a month too. Likes it. Same with sardines (mustard), smoked oysters, herring planks, etc., cept weekly. I usually buy them 10 cans at a time so they're always in the larder for snackin purposes.

Tried Vienna's and that potted meat stuff long ago and didn't care for the flavor or consistency.

Looked up them smoked sprats, look kinda ghoulish, but I'd drop a couple down the pipe and see what happens.

Posted by: ghostsniper at November 15, 2016 12:40 PM

re: Riga Smoked Sprats @ DrTedNelson

Riga GOLD is the ne plus ultra of sprats. I love them but my wife of 48 years leaves the house if I open a can. Today I felt like having a bowl of Dashi as a mid afternoon snack so I placed in a small pot an envelope of Dashi powder and three cups of boiling HOH and placed the open pot on simmer. She came home and read me the riot act over the odor in the kitchen. I strained the Dashi, added a pinch of sugar, a dash of light soy, and a tsp of dark miso. Stirred all together I am drinking a large, about 18 oz, cup of the Miso as I write this.

re: Canned Tuna

I love canned Skip Jack Tuna in oil, either Portuguese or Spanish. Yes, eat straight and don't dare drain the oil.

Check out the American canned fish products from The Tuna Guys: http://www.tunaguys.net/dda/b/tg/build.asp?page=Home
The problem with them is that they frequently run out of product. They used to sell Spanish Style Tuna in Oil that was to die for and two types of Sturgeon products but stopped. Keep checking back to get their Albacore products.

Dan Kurt

Posted by: Dan Kurt at November 15, 2016 4:47 PM

He said HOH. LOL

Posted by: ghostsniper at November 15, 2016 8:00 PM

Now we're talking!!! Sardines in mustard with soda crackers is a great snack! My whole crew loves it. A small can of anchovies is pretty good stuff too. A slab of SPAM over the campfire until the edges are a little crispy and slapped on a piece of bread is good enough for me!

Posted by: Snakepit Kansas at November 16, 2016 4:37 AM

Great article! I love the stuff and had a can of smoked oysters last night. Thanks for posting this!

Posted by: Ann K at November 16, 2016 5:44 AM

You know it Snake, Beach Cliff mustard is the ticket. I get wobbly over them crispy edges, no bread, no mustard, just as is right off the heat.

It's almost noon, think I'll go fire some up rat nah!

Posted by: ghostsniper at November 16, 2016 8:40 AM