« And there's still five days to go! | Main | Our students’ ignorance is not a failing of the educational system – it is its crowning achievement. »

November 26, 2016

Do Elephants Have Souls?

aelephants.jpg

One of the major clues that elephants have something we would recognize as inner lives is their extraordinary memories.
This is attested to by outward indicators ranging from the practical — a matriarch’s recollection of a locale, critical to leading her family to food and water — to the passionate — grudges that are held against specific people or types of people for decades or even generations, or fierce affection for a long-lost friend.
Carol Buckley, co-founder of the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee, a retirement ranch for maltreated veterans of circuses and zoos, describes the arrival of a newcomer to the facility. The fifty-one-year-old Shirley was first introduced to an especially warm resident of long standing named Tarra: “Everyone watched in joy and amazement as Tarra and Shirley intertwined trunks and made ‘purring’ noises at each other. Shirley very deliberately showed Tarra each injury she had sustained at the circus, and Tarra then gently moved her trunk over each injured part.” - The New Atlantis

Posted by gerardvanderleun at November 26, 2016 11:56 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

I think if any living thing has a soul then all living things have a soul.

Posted by: ghostsniper at November 26, 2016 1:17 PM

Even grubs? Viruses? The problem is, where is the line drawn? Or do they all have souls? Even oysters? Ants? Tumbleweeds?

Next: who draws that line (if there is such a line)? Where is it drawn? Somewhere between us and oysters, I hope...

Lots more questions come to mind, but those will do for now.

Posted by: Smokey at November 26, 2016 5:54 PM

Evolution cannot explain the elephant's soul.

Posted by: Jewel at November 26, 2016 6:33 PM

Maybe a better word to use is "kindness."
Crystals, polymers form as they recognize the kind-ness of their neighbors.
Protons and electrons know to keep their distance in order to exist harmoniously. That's called kind-ness of a more simple, particular sort.
If God, or It`s equivalent is omnipresent, it`s just that Oneness finding Itself.

Posted by: Howard Nelson at November 26, 2016 7:03 PM

Why does a line need to be drawn?

Posted by: ghostsniper at November 26, 2016 7:37 PM

Thank you for posting this fascinating piece. It really made my day to read it.

Posted by: pfsm at November 26, 2016 8:41 PM

Yessiree, elephants MUST have souls because my narcissistic self really relates to their behavior!

Haha, just kidding ... if my narcissistic self gives elephants a soul then I might have to admit I actually have a soul. If I have to admit I have a soul, then I would also have to admit something happens to that soul after death. I might even have to admit that some Power actually gave me that soul. I can't allow that because there is absolutely no Power greater than my beloved Narcissistic Self. Nahhh, I'm not gonna get sucked into your stupid animals have souls hypothesis. (That's sarcasm, for you narcissistic selves out there.)

Another possibility ...

What if humans were created in the image of God and endowed with God-like emotions so that we could relate to Him? Instead, we use those emotions to relate to -- voila -- ELEPHANTS! And, best of all, because our narcissistic selves have become gods, we get to decide who gets a soul. I like elephants because they behave like me -- voila -- I bestow souls upon you elephants. I can do that because nothing is greater than my narcissistic self.

Reminds me of a narcissistic nephew who was arguing with my daughter the benefits of abortion in fighting overpopulation. My daughter is one of eight siblings. When she asked him if the other seven should have been aborted or not coneived, his completely serious response was, "I'm okay with your family because I like you."

Posted by: edaddy at November 27, 2016 10:28 AM

A leftoid would be quicker to see a soul in an elephant than in himself. And he would be right

Posted by: james wilson at November 27, 2016 11:19 AM