« “Hang ’em high—it’s the Democrat way.” | Main | "Diversity? What do you mean 'we', white man?" »

November 25, 2016

"And then my generation took over. "

I grew up in pre-ironic, pre-racial healing America, in the 1950s, in the western suburbs of Minneapolis.
It was a high-trust, wonderful place to live - shopping centers, golf courses and the sound of sprinklers.  Women stayed home, by and large, and raised the family - dads worked.  Kids were everywhere and no one wore a bike helmet.  Ike was in the White House.  The sky was blue.  It was fabulous.  I went to a high school with 2500 other kids.  The school had a principal, two assistant principals, a nurse and three ladies who worked in the office - no metal detectors, no cops, no trouble to speak of.  I'm not even sure the principal had a four-year degree.  If he did, it was from some cow-college in North Dakota.  We laughed at him (behind his back) because his first name was Milo.  But Milo certainly wasn't confused about what his job was.  School was orderly and fun.  Everyone got a decent education in the basics (and then some) and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.  Teachers were not called educators.  Lunch was 30 cents.

And then my generation took over. Pancho said sing! — I just don’t know anymore

Posted by gerardvanderleun at November 25, 2016 12:55 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

"And then my generation took over."

That's my generation, too, although I began school in 1961, not the '50s, And boy, did we ever screw up the country. Today America smolders on the ruins of the Meathead Generation.

Posted by: Donald Sensing at November 25, 2016 2:42 PM

It all began with politicians trading 'free stuff' for votes. The unions vote for politicians that give them more money/benefits. The 'poor' vote for politicians that give them free housing, food, money, cell phones, etc. But even all of this couldn't create as much havoc as we see today. The straw that broke the camels back was that most of the free stuff requires that you have children and no husband. What that meant is more and more unwanted, uncared for kids AND no man around to keep the teen boys in line. Voilà how to destroy America.

Posted by: GoneWithTheWind at November 25, 2016 2:57 PM

Let's not let the Whores of Hollywood Babylon off the hook,here. They've been mocking traditional America for decades,making huge profits with very nice tax breaks. No surprise that former Democratic Senator Chris Dodd has been CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America since 2011. It's all one big Liberal Club of Meatheads,controlling the message. Next year will feature lots of crappy movies with a two-headed Trump/Sessions WhiteZilla crushing "people of color" beneath its yuuuge feet. Maybe Rob Reiner's available?

Posted by: Nori at November 25, 2016 4:13 PM

Yep. I found my HS yearbook from the late 50's and guess what. In about 300 kids there was one bigboy. One. And no fat girls. None.

Posted by: J Palmer Crass at November 25, 2016 5:18 PM

Ya know, if there were only 2 people on this planet and you were the baddest of the 2 you could run it the way you see fit. But you know what else? That ain't the way it is but you can get as close as you can. What I'm talking about is the "run it the way you see fit" part. Run YOUR life as you see fit. And let everyone else do the same.

With that in mind, I question the sanity of someone that would choose someone else, especially a stranger beyond eyesight, to dictate any of the parameters of your existence. But that's me. These days everybody's a little crazy I suppose.

Anyway, the way I see it everybody is a potential criminal so it is therefore prudent to spread trust very sparingly, and in varying degrees. Keep your friends close, and under a watchful eye, and your enemies at great distances. And above all else live this life like it's the only one you'll ever own.

*Politicians*? I have no use for them and try to stay out of their way, and If the opportunity ever arises where I can dismiss one with no repercussions it will be done. Again, there is something wrong inside the brain of any person that wishes to rule over another even just a tiny bit. I'll have none of it.

**Criminals. (see Natural Law)

Posted by: ghostsniper at November 25, 2016 7:13 PM

Great website, pancho. Thanks.

Posted by: foodog at November 26, 2016 5:24 AM

Decoration Day. At that time it wasn't Memorial Day. The local parade had as many kids on their bikes, with red, white and blue crepe paper streamers in the spokes, wrapped around the frame and handle bars. We rode along side the parade and no one said you couldn't, you needed a helmet or you weren't invited. Afterward it was to the Legion or VFW halls for the community feast.
Everyone not required to work, turned out to either march or watch.

Today, I think a kid wanting to ride along side the marchers would be told "Get out of here" or you need a permit, a helmet, a note from your parents saying it's OK and then a check out by some EPA official making sure the colors in the crepe aren't toxic or harmful to the environment.

Of course there is a check for $15 to be paid in advance to cover the Parade Committee event insurance.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck at November 26, 2016 9:23 AM

...I question the sanity of someone that would choose someone else, especially a stranger beyond eyesight, to dictate any of the parameters of your existence...

Ghost, I'm sure your question is rhetorical, you know the answer as well as I do, but, just for grins, here's my take. Some people find it easier to let others run their lives, even if they do it for them in a crappy manner, than to take responsibility for it themselves. That way, if your life sucks, you can always blame someone else. It's easier to bitch about "the Man" than it is to get off the couch, get a job or training for a better job, and make other important decisions about the directions of your own life.

Posted by: waltj at November 27, 2016 12:50 PM