« The Conservatory Under a Lake | Main | The West now compulsively creates magical prime movers and explanations rather than deal with reality. »

June 2, 2015

The San Francisco Bushman

bushman.jpg

Born David Johnson, the World Famous Bushman hides in wait for unsuspecting pedestrians (read: tourists), reportedly at the western end of San Francisco’s famous Fisherman’s Wharf.
When they approach, he suddenly and vigorously shakes large leafy branches at his victims while simultaneously exclaiming various seemingly primitive words including “arrgh,” and “ugga bugga,” or, sometimes, just growling. [Jokes about woodpiles are not appreciated.] -- TIFO

Posted by gerardvanderleun at June 2, 2015 10:17 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

He's a loon but that little boy is having the time of his life :)

Posted by: Christopher Taylor [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 2, 2015 12:37 PM

I always smiled at the guy on Park Avenue and about 18th Street in Sodom on Hudson who was soliciting money for the United Negro Pizza Fund.
From time to time I threw him a five.

Posted by: bilejones [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 2, 2015 7:19 PM

Seeing them in their natural habitat. Good work National Geographic.

Posted by: tripletap [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 3, 2015 3:29 AM

Monkey Men.

The Rolling Stones version is the standard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNY8eYmzdH4

I like the Specials version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHBl2cGbLBs

I don't think either one glorified jungle bunnies in any way.

Posted by: chasmatic [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 3, 2015 6:53 AM

I really dislike this guy. He jumps out and scares you; why is that funny? I hate being startled like that. Most of the time people do laugh. Once in a while he picks the wrong victim, like an old couple that got really, really shaken and looked like they might have a heart attack. In those cases the crowd dissolves, embarrassed. I'm glad the little kid in the photo had fun, but he is one of the few.

Posted by: Sarah Rolph [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 3, 2015 7:20 AM

@Sarah, if he scared you, you should have stabbed him in the eyes with a big Craftsman screwdriver. I mean, if he gets to scare you, you get to scare him, right?
Goose-Gander.

Getting stabbed in the eyes with a screwdriver has to be pretty high on the list of scary things.

*Craftsman, because if you snap it off in his ocular glands you'll get a new one for free.

Posted by: ghostsniper [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 4, 2015 6:39 AM