« The Meat Prophet of Peru | Main | The Internet in Real Time: »

December 24, 2014

This

This is not very interesting
But if
You have read this far already
You will
Probably
Read as far as this:
And still
Not really accomplishing
Anything at all

You might
Even read on
Which brings you to
The line you are reading now
And after all that you are still
Probably dumb enough to keep
Right on making
A dope of yourself
By reading
As far down
The page as this.

— Anonymous, Princeton Tiger, 1949

Posted by gerardvanderleun at December 24, 2014 4:04 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

I was out running errands, in the line at Walmart for meds. Behind me comes this guy, looked like he was on a Polack bowling team. Mid-forties, wouldn't know matching colors if it bit him in the butt.
"Whassatcha got?" He asks, pointing to the cafe curtain rod I'm holding.
I spoke not a word, showed him.
"Oh" he sez, "thought it was one a them canes. My buddy has one with four feet".
"Yes, when we get older we lose equilibrium." I said (my mistake).
"Oh" he sez, "I lost my equilibrium when I had that aneurism, back in '97."
"You're lucky to be alive" sez I.
"I dunno, I'm waiting for them to come get me. Y'know, go up into space".
"I'm five foot ten." I said with finality, "you won't need any money up there."
He nodded sagely and I saw behind his eyes he'll be chewing on that for a while.
The art of conversation, one of my strong suits.

Posted by: chasmatic [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 25, 2014 6:20 AM

Also the subject of a hilarious LMOC cartoon in '49 or '50, maybe '51. I could dig out my book of compiled cartoons and look it up, but am too lazy. (For you youngsters out there, LMOC (Little Man on Campus) was a single panel cartoon carried by most college newspapers post WW2, drawn by a WW2 vet in college at the time, about the adventures a sad sack student who couldn't catch a break, modeled no doubt on Willie and Joe). Ah, those were the days. Prof. Snarf and all.

Posted by: BillH [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 25, 2014 8:35 AM

Yo, Bill: the older I get the better the past was. At least that's what it seems like.

Young people keep re-inventing the wheel and somehow the tolerances slip. Each new generation the product is less than or worse than.

Nothing is simple anymore. Nothing ever works. Nothing ever fits. Everything's gotta be special. Standard is never good enough.

Here's one back atcha: Nov schmoz kapop?

Posted by: chasmatic [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 26, 2014 5:55 AM

Nov schmoz kapop? Well chas, Google says it's slovenian and translates to New schmoz kapop in english. So the answer is, not lately.

Posted by: BillH [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 26, 2014 8:09 AM

Bill: Not fair of me; I was being a bit too obscure. The quote is taken from a character in a weird comic strip of the 30s - 50s, Gene Ahern's legendary surreal Squirrel Cage. (1936 - 1953).

Had a following like that of Krazy Kat. Off the wall comic art. The phrase had some popularity among the more offbeat readers, and it has no meaning.

Posted by: chasmatic [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 26, 2014 10:12 PM

chas - OK. When it's you I'm spring-loaded for a pearl from your uncle Letsgo, so I immediately assumed it was something eastern European.

Posted by: BillH [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 27, 2014 7:53 AM