« And out of that space a voice came: “He will strengthen you to the end.” | Main | For a Brief Inglorious Moment, the U.S. Navy Had a Nuclear-Powered Wetsuit »

December 2, 2014

I suspect that the popularity of Star Wars and the Potter series

arises from the generation of obese, pimply-faced young losers we are now raising, who know their real-life prospects to be miserable, and compensate by playing the hero in video games. Very few of them know how to code a computer, to be sure, and even fewer know how to build one. Spengler サ May the Farce Be With You

Posted by gerardvanderleun at December 2, 2014 8:43 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

Yeah because Star Wars was never popular until recently. That's the ticket...

Posted by: Christopher Taylor [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 2, 2014 11:00 AM

I question comments that disparage an entire generation of children. There are good parents in the United States raising good children. And even world-wide I think.

Perhaps we do not hear from them or see them because they are not acting out.

I have to wonder if individuals making comments discarding a generation have ever been strong enough to take on the challenge and sacrifice of raising a child. Probably not. And I do not disparage individuals who choose not to have children. But do not sit back in a totally self-centered existence and scoff at others who give of themselves to the hope of a future, even in the face of the gloom of our current world culture.

After all, at least you weren't conveniently aborted, right?

In either case. I do not point a finger at the children as much as I do at the adults. They are, in theory, in charge.

Posted by: JudgmentComes [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 2, 2014 12:59 PM

I read that a couple of days ago. Goldman got so many negative comments that he republished a 2007 review of Tolkien's "Children of Hurin" yesterday trying to make up for it.

I saw the first three Star Wars when I was younger, and I appreciated them for what they were: light, fun, action movies. What's the big deal? Are there people making complaints about how heroes are depicted in "Diehard", "Roadhouse" or "True Grit"? Get a life.

Posted by: browncoat [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 2, 2014 1:33 PM

I grew up reading Heinlein, Asimov, Clark, Sturgeon and many others. When I saw Star Wars, I was 33 and absolutely captivated. When Vader got away, I knew there would be more.

So it's fantasy. It isn't as damn bloody as Die Hard, Roadhouse or Blade. Nor any of the gore shows they make today. I don't need a Peckinpah movie to let me know what life is.

There needs time away from Obama and Boehner, Reid and Pelosi. Hell the 'Perils of Pauline" will do.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 2, 2014 2:17 PM

Goldman, it seems, was lambasting the non-doers, the takers and fakers, the blamers and complainers -- not the generation of workers and foundation defenders.
'Obese' and 'pimply-faced' are probably the wrong terms to use. Those Star Wars flicks at least taught some difference between good and evil, and wisdom and thoughtlessness, and which qualities were to be preferred and why.
There is more truth in some myths, old and new, than much of what passes for political necessity.

Posted by: Stug Guts [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 2, 2014 3:11 PM

Yeah, I liked Star Wars too. All previous comments are good ones.

Posted by: pbird [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 2, 2014 6:43 PM

"....obese, pimply-faced young losers we are now raising, who know their real-life prospects to be miserable...."

Every time I venture into a metropolis I see a plethora of these things. So I go there infrequently. It's as if they have no brain at all!

Posted by: ghostsniper [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 2, 2014 7:23 PM

Gads what a crank “Spengler” is.

Posted by: Eris Guy [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 3, 2014 2:52 AM

Wiow, as much as I admire David Goldman (we are even Facebook friends) I think he is well off track here.

All three of my children were and still are very much fans of the Potter series and the Star Wars/Trek series. All grown now. And how did they turn out?

Eldest: Graduated high school with highest-honors diploma and immediately enlisted the USMC, fought in Iraq, got honorably discharged and earned a BS degree, now self sufficient three states away. And BTW, he can and does build his own computers and the USMC actually delayed his reporting date to boot camp so he could go to Denver and compete in the national C++ programming competition.

Second son: Graduated 10th in his H.S. class of 460 and went to Wake Forest Univ., where he was also awarded a substantial track and field scholarship his second year that increased to 75% his junior year and 100% his senior year. He was one of 12 NCAA athletes to compete in the national javelin championship competition in 2009. That was also the year he was elected by the ACC's coaches - of all sports, not just track and field - as the ACC male athlete of the year - across all sports, not his own. He is now in his third year of medical school and holds a reserve commission in the USAF for transfer to the regular USAF's medical corps when he graduates in 2016.

Third child, daughter: One of 20 students statewide selected for the Tennessee Governors School in computational physics after her junior H.S. year. Graduated 3rd in her class of 420. Now a junior at Tennessee Tech majoring in chemical engineering with a bio-molecular emphasis, where she was inducted just last night into the university's honor society in Chem. Eng. BTW, her course load this semester is: Physical chemistry, heat transfer, microbiology, thermodynamics (not the same as heat transfer), and four labs. She will start next month a two-semester co-op with Dupont, which is pretty much top of the pile for chemical engineering students.

I myself grew up on reading Tarzan of the Apes and John Carter of Mars. I did not turn out nearly as well as my Potter-Trek-Wars kids, so make of that what you will.

Sorry, David, you went well wide of the mark here.

Posted by: plus.google.com/104841162830331053592 [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 3, 2014 6:07 AM

"...we are even Facebook friends..."
====================

Oh dear.
My fear is that I'll get dronk and sign up for facebook.

I read Tarzan and John Carter and many others in 4"x4"x2" thick books from the 20's that I found in my grandmothers attic that my dad read as a youngster. I think they got throwed out with that ominous stack of comic books in the closet and the rest of my boyhood life by my mother when I joined the army. I never made that mistake again.

Posted by: ghostsniper [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 3, 2014 8:20 AM

Yeah, just a bit cranky. At least the kids reading Harry Potter books are actually reading.

Posted by: M. G. Stinnett [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 3, 2014 1:29 PM