« Democrats openly—and without a hint of apparent irony or self-awareness of their hypocrisy— | Main | 4-Acre Spider Web Engulfs Building »

November 3, 2014

Sad News About the Best Show on NPR

tom1_wide-1deca903798e3cdc75d899f4c8ed25690a4072ba-s40-c85.jpg

Tom Magliozzi, Popular Co-Host Of NPR's 'Car Talk,' Dies At 77 : NPR Tom Magliozzi, one of public radio's most popular personalities, died on Monday of complications from Alzheimer's disease. He was 77 years old. Tom and his brother, Ray, became famous as "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers" on the weekly NPR show Car Talk. They bantered, told jokes, laughed and sometimes even gave pretty good advice to listeners who called in with their car troubles.

Posted by gerardvanderleun at November 3, 2014 12:11 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

Darn! Car Talk was one of the funniest shows I ever heard. Tom & Ray are funny and informative. They stopped making new shows a while back but they were re-airing the old shows each week.

R.I.P. Tom, God bless you.

Posted by: tscottme [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 1:04 PM

Sigh.

Posted by: pst314 [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 1:19 PM

They were the only reason to listen to NPR, at least for an hour.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 3:29 PM

Such a young man.

Posted by: Fat Man [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 5:36 PM

Shoot. A few years ago, before my introduction to the internet, heh, I LOVED them.

Posted by: pbird [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 7:00 PM

I never liked them. Making fun of their callers, showing off, mainly interested in demonstrating how much better they were than you. Typical east coast snobs.

But speak no ill of the dead. I listened to their show, I enjoyed it.

More importantly, the picture on KACHING of "Monika Jagaciak" is not Monika Jagaciak. I think it's Kate Harrison.

Posted by: Punditarian [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 7:15 PM

Well, I'm glad you've gotten all of us straightened out.

Posted by: Van der Leun [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 7:21 PM

My apologies, Gerard. MOST importantly, you're back in the game. I hope you had a nice move and ended up in a nice place to live. GOD BLESS.

Posted by: Punditarian [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 7:32 PM

Oh don't apologize Punditari, I'm just snarking along with the rest of the flock.

Posted by: Van der Leun [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 10:56 PM

I could listen to them all damn Saturday, followed by Peter Schickele (Shickele Mix).

Posted by: Mother Effingby [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 4, 2014 8:19 AM

I used to listen to the show when our timelines intersected. Sure, they sometimes teased the callers, but they also went after each other pretty good. And it was never mean. You always knew in advance the show was going to be fun. The problem solving side of the show appealed to the nerd in me.

I was surprised to learn they were both MIT engineering grads. Always figured they were just happy grease monkeys. Too bad about the Alzheimer's. That's a sucky way to go.

"Don't drive like my brother. And don't drive like *my* brother".

Posted by: SteveS [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 4, 2014 8:05 PM

I would like permission to add the following to my comments:

“Is he good? Or is he bad? That's the only thing I ask nowadays. And as I grow older—I'd swear this on the last crust I eat—I feel I shan't even go on asking that! Whether a man's good or bad, I'm sorry for him, for all of 'em. The sight of a man just rends my insides, even if I act as though I don't care a damn! There he is, poor devil, I think, he also eats and drinks and makes love and is frightened, whoever he is: he has his God and his devil just the same, and he'll peg out and lie as stiff as a board beneath the ground and be food for worms, just the same. Poor devil! We're all brothers! All worm-meat!”

Posted by: Punditarian [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 9, 2014 5:43 AM