« The Democrat Party, | Main | »

November 2, 2014

I. Don't. Care.

I don’t care what happens to everyone, everywhere.
I don’t care what happens to strangers. It’s an admission that sounds barbaric and unspeakably taboo. It’s like saying, “I’m a racist” or “I’m a sexist.” It’s taboo because people have been conned into believing that they are supposed to do something they can NEVER do--care equally about everyone, all around the world.
— RADIX JOURNAL

Posted by gerardvanderleun at November 2, 2014 10:26 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

No I don't! Particularly in West Africa, Cuba, Venezuela, Chicago, NYC, San Fran, DC or any liberal pest-hole du jour. Ask yourself if they would care about you. The answer always comes back no.

If they say yes, tell them to give you a million bucks to make you happy-right now. They won't.

Mencken had/has it tight down the line.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 2:53 AM

Oingo Boingo wrote a song about this.

I would cautiously agree, inasmuch as the people who insist that we must care desperately about the distant atrocity du jour are practically never bothered about their actual neighbors, unless it's to rally around and make their neighbors' lives unpleasant. The kind of people who will send aid to Africa or insist that we allow all the immigrants to come to our cities and live comfortably off the fruits of our labors while turning a blind eye to the trafficking of our actual neighbors' children because we don't want to say anything unpleasant about our newly "diverse" culture, and anyway the kids being traded around aren't really people.

We are called to love our neighbors; it is an impossible ideal, but especially so when we avoid the hard work of a) understanding that "loving your neighbors" may mean leaving them alone most of the time, and only stepping in to help when we are called to do so, and b) it requires judgment, consideration, and even sometimes *gasp* actual work instead of just throwing money at whatever "helpful" organization sticks their hands out while profiting from the misery of others.

If we each worked on making our actual neighborhoods better places, the world as a whole would benefit. That is how the impossible becomes possible.

Posted by: Juliecork [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 4:55 AM

Loving your neighbor actually starts in our homes. If we took care of ourselves first, then caring for others comes more naturally. Another thing the left has destroyed...
Leslie

Posted by: Lisa [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 6:41 AM

I agree. Even MotherTeresa said if you want world peace go home and love your family. I wonder how many of these do gooders even get along with their family members.

Posted by: Mag [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 7:18 AM

"I don't care what happens to strangers." "I don't care what happens to everyone, everywhere." "Love is a choice, a discriminatory act."

These are the grumblings of a cold-hearted, mean-spirited soul.
So, if you choose not to LOVE someone in need, will you choose to LIKE them enough to contribute something to a charity like Save the Children or research hospitals focused on childhood disease prevention and cure -- even if they are serving children worldwide?
I can understand not offering contributions to charities who waste funds, with very low percentages of funds getting to the needy, but what of the others with very high rates of delivery of services?
Your absolutist exclusion of those in greatest need, through no fault of their own, is strange and cruel.
Strangers, around the world, have contributed to all of our welfare through dedication of their lives to developing medicines, medical procedures, farming, housing, ...
Cut yourself some slack and get back into the human grace, please, we need you too, strange as you are at the moment.
Lastly, if you believe love is a choice, you are a confused soul.

Posted by: Stug Guts [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 7:48 AM

Yep, like back-in-the-day...

Mom: 'Eat your carrots, Chucky. Think of all those starving Chinese.'

Chucky: 'Name one.'

Posted by: Anon43 [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 8:02 AM

ACT NOW!
For just the cost of a (starbucks) cup of coffee a day, you can pay for the administration expenses of care and feeding of (fill in the blank) that the last Congressional "aid" package pretended to do.
YOUR ELECTRONIC CREDITS transfer TODAY will help alleviate the "unintended" damage we did last year!
This offer NOT applicable toward Federal "redistribution credits" program, even IF you have been deemed suitable to assess for your "fair share", under penalty of arrest and seizure of otherwise self generated living exchanges.

Posted by: CaptDMO [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 8:06 AM

Like everything else these days the word *care* is meaningless. That is to say, care means whatever the sayer wants it to mean.

Welcome to Babel of the New Millennia, when everything means nothing and no one can communicate with anyone else. Ideologically isolated habitual herd members.

Posted by: ghostsniper [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 8:08 AM

I donate to the Salvation Army and the DAV of which I am a member. I wouldn't waste my time kicking the Red Cross in the nuts. You have to had been in the military to understand that.

Blood I donate at the VA hospital.

Fuck the chinks, let them grow their own carrots.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 8:15 AM

So. Imagine it like this. We're a vast herd, spread out in a long horizontal line and crossing an even vaster plain. We don't know why we are marching in the direction we're going, but we're feeling the powerful pull, or we're driven forward by forces we can't comprehend.

Some race ahead to find the best graze and browse first. Some saunter along to live off what's available. Temporary alliances are formed, local shared identities emerge. Those other guys on the far side of the herd? You pay them no never mind. You can't eat their grass, they can't eat yours.

Sometimes somebody stumbles. Sometimes their nearest neighbors help them back to their feet, at least for a little while. But the insistent pull of the distant horizon is too strong. Those who can't keep going on their own, are left behind.

Sometimes, somebody just stops walking. "Okay, I've had enough, seen enough. You guys keep going, I'm going to rest here awhile." We all know what that means. Goodby's are said, and back we turn to the far-distant goal that cannot be ignored.

The little ones are born along the way. They can ride for a little while, but soon they too have to join the great journey. If they can't, they are left behind.

What makes anyone think that we have broken free of the bonds of Nature? We must march. There has been no singularity that gives us free bubble-up and all the grass we can eat, and a lifetime free of tears. One day, you too will stumble. And your friends and neighbors will glance at each other, and with a nod decide to leave you behind, as you too have done for so many others.

"You are all condemned men. We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well, and live."

Posted by: John A. Fleming [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 10:12 AM

The rotting at the core of the American character is in direct proportion to it's collective evangelism, foreign and domestic. Melville understood: There is something wrong about the man who wants to help. There is somewhere a deep defect, a want, a brief, a need, a crying need, some where about the man.

Posted by: james wilson [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 10:27 AM

"Whenever A annoys or injures B on the pretense of saving or improving X, A is a scoundrel."

- Henry Louis Mencken

Posted by: Rob De Witt [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 3:11 PM

'The rotting at the core of the American character ...Melville understood: There is something wrong about the man who wants to help....'
That's why we should not contribute to the Wounded Warrior charity or its equivalent. That's why we should assassinate all our firemen, nurses, doctors, and EMS personnel.
That Melville occasionally mumbled moronically is not a good reason to offer his stupidities as pertinent.
I applaud the 'defects' of those who risk their lives for others in need.

Posted by: Stug Guts [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 4:05 PM

Stug, there is a difference twix those you mention and those which Melville bespoke. Your examples are serving the community at large. Melville's characters where those that were not standing on their own by choice.

Slavery whether in irons or Socialism is still slavery.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 4:24 PM

I care what happens to people, but for religious reasons. All of humanity, as flawed and sinful as we are, as awful as we so often are, are made in the image of the creator. As C.S. Lewis put it:

It is a serious thing," says Lewis, "to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no 'ordinary' people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations -- these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whome we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit -- immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. This does not mean that we are to be perpetually solemn. We must play. But our merriment must be of that kind (and it is, in fact, the merriest kind) which exists between people who have, from the outset, taken each other seriously -- no flippancy, no superiority, no presumption. And our charity must be a real and costly love, with deep feeling for the sins in spite of which we love the sinner -- no mere tolerance or indulgence which parodies love as flippancy parodies merriment."

Posted by: Christopher Taylor [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 7:36 PM

Stug, many people have dropped a hint so that you might rise up to the occasion, but that has not worked well, so I will take the low road.

You are no judge of human grace, or who is a confused soul. Or, rather, you are a bad judge. I'll go no further, because it is too damned easy.

Posted by: james wilson [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 2, 2014 9:14 PM

Whenever I am tempted to give money to a stranger, I ask myself if it would be better to give it to my wife, children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, etc. Invariably, any surplus money that I may have stays within the family. I don't know about you but taking care of my family soaks up ALL of my surplus cash. I think giving money to strangers when one's family has need of this money is unconscionable.

Posted by: Blown Fx [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 1:12 AM

However, never let it be said that I am cheap if you're talking about dispensing free advice. In matters of opinion, I am a veritable font of human benevolence. I have lost count of how many times I have said to the world at large: Give me your tired, your poor, blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: Blown Fx [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 1:23 AM

The next time some one ask for money offer to buy them lunch. See what kind of reaction you'll get.
When they tell you they'll work for food, offer them a job. Tell them to show up tomorrow, ready to work. Don't hold your breath.

I don't think anyone is speaking to those that cannot take care of themselves for whatever reason. Those that choose not to, starve or work.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 3:00 AM

The more observant of you readers will realize that when I mention my Uncle Letsgo Lozko it is as a literary device. Either to tip the reader that I am speaking in jest or, more often, to diffuse the ticking time bomb of tension.

My uncle Letsgo Lozko, he raised bantam chickens. Once and a while I would see him prepare a basket of eggs or grab a chicken and whack off its head and tell me to carry it to the old lady a couple houses away. "She gets hungry, same as me and you" he would say. "She never has enough, I always have too much."

Sometimes we take ourselves too seriously (ref: Rule 62) and I no less than any other. Often we take a stand on a subject and put forth a persona of rough and tough or dispassionate and aloof but I wonder, how do we really live out our lives? Do we walk our talk or do we generate the talk and try to walk in accordance with it?

This topic and comments of generosity, charity, bonhomie, tolerance, empathy, this topic deals with beliefs and values within us. The "Inside Job" as I call it.

1 Corinthians 13
in several bible versions the word "charity" replaces "love".

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love suffers long, and is kind; love envies not; love brags not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Does not behave itself unseemly, seeks not her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil;
6 Rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
7 Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child; I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now stays faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

This is all about what is in our hearts, not our wallets. Sometimes I will give few bucks or a bag of burgers to a panhandler, sometimes not. Whether I have five hunnert bucks in my wallet or just a couple bucks myself doesn't matter. I was never so poor that I couldn't spare a buck or two for someone less fortunate than I.
This is about attitude, what is in my heart. if I act gruff and stingy with a bum on the street, how am I expected to act around friends or the guy next to me that just got shot or the driver, perhaps a drunken fool, that is trapped in his car sitting on its roof with gasoline spilling out, ready to ignite? Do I only give gifts when I can afford it? For a rich man to give, charity is no challenge. When a poor man donates something it is of high value.

We reap what we sow.

Posted by: chasmatic [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 5:12 AM

JW & VW @11-2-14:
My comments were based on the incorrectly quoted Melville, which correctly is: "There is something wrong about the man who wants help ..." [Not 'wants to']
I agree with Melville in this case.
VW you are correct; Melville was speaking about those who were reluctant or refused to try being self-reliant.

Posted by: Stug Guts [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 7:18 AM

The problem with the "help people in need" line is that it is so misused. Love does not mean giving people what they want without hesitation, it means doing for people what they need and is best for them, regardless of how they feel about it.

You love your children by punishing them for doing wrong. You do not love your children by feeding them Halloween candy for dinner. Love is outward directed and selfless, concerned for the other. Sometimes that means doing what they don't care for, like not giving them money or goodies when they ask.

Love includes forcing someone to stand up and fight, to live and work and survive on their own, if need be. You don't help someone by feeding their dependency.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 3, 2014 8:06 AM