« LSD | Main | Documenting the Death of an Assassin »

April 26, 2014

This skinny jeans thing is, as usual, getting way out of hand

a_skinnyjeans.jpg

Lee on Behance

A friend last night on a downtown street: "I don't know how it's done, but somehow every woman in America seems to have gotten the memo about leggings and skinny jeans."

Posted by gerardvanderleun at April 26, 2014 1:43 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

What a waste of good cardboard.

Posted by: chasmatic at April 26, 2014 11:39 AM

Wow! Purposely awkward packaging.
Certainly desirable to "be seen with", no matter what extent of emaciation one has attained.
Sure to be "hip" amongst the male rainbow folk in short order.

Posted by: CaptDMO at April 26, 2014 1:38 PM

Women are infinitely more attuned to fashion and social pressure than men. Women are herd animals. They watch ditzy TV shows like Oprah and Entertainment Tonight. If some movie star wore a blood splashed t-shirt that would be the style and spread across the country in about 3 days. Women understand their value is disproportionately in their appearance so they spend far, far more time thinking and acting on their appearance. They take cues from high-value women, movie stars models, etc. and race to appear high-value.

As men become more feminized they will adopt some of the same habits and views as women. If you want to argue with me about me claiming "ALL ..." go ahead. I didn't say "all" but I don't want to get in the way of an imaginary argument.

Posted by: Scott M at April 26, 2014 2:20 PM

Scott: now who would want to argue with any person that has such well thought out opinions and lucid observations? I didn't say I did, but I suppose you have some relevant responses lined up for anyone foolish enough to enter the comments arena with you.

Posted by: chasmatic at April 26, 2014 2:43 PM

Scott seems to be suggesting men and women are different. I, for one, am totally stunned and amazed by the very idea. (Not!)

As for the "All..." thing, a basic premise of statistics is that groups have central tendencies. So yes, you can make generalizations without claiming every member of the group has that exact property.

Posted by: SteveS at April 26, 2014 7:41 PM

My tendency is to avoid group tendencies.

Posted by: ghostsniper at April 26, 2014 8:31 PM

Most generalizations have little value. Seventy-five, no, make that eighty percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

If a majority of consumers like something I know it's not for me.

Posted by: chasmatic at April 27, 2014 5:57 AM

"Most generalizations have little value."?
So am I supposed to throw out all those Venn diagrams, with intersections and subsets, I made up for my cultural sociology and social psychology power point presentations? I have to maintain a 3.5 to keep that "free" grant for retail fashion marketing. Those new clothes styles for the Emperor's minions aren't going to market THEMSELVES you know.

Posted by: CaptDMO at April 27, 2014 6:19 AM

Capt: just because they have little value does not mean they are valueless. If you target an audience using a lowest-common-denominator paradigm, set up a model based on Global Village values and factor in a random vector (I use the dart to wall method) you will touch every base and gain traction by being forward-driven, top down. Oh, be sure to use a rainbow cast for the PP. Extra credit for wheelchairs.

Posted by: chasmatic at April 27, 2014 10:01 AM