« Closer..... Closer.... | Main | Russia: If Asked, Don't Tell »

December 15, 2013

247 CENTRAL PARK WEST $32,750,000 -- Or Best Offer

11564895_source.jpg

247 Central Park West is one of the few remaining single family homes on Central Park.
Built in 1887 by William Noble, a prominent developer, for his private residence. Today with over 12,000 /- sq ft, this magnificent architectural masterpiece juxtaposes historic prewar details with contemporary splendor. The parlor floor boasts a double height ceiling and a glass and steel staircase crowned by a domed skylight flooding the home with light. After the 3rd floor the staircase follows a “Guggenheim” sweep allowing the Owner added walls for displaying art. This unique home has 6 levels, which can also be accessed by elevator, plus a finished lower level with a 60' fresh water pool and home gym. There are 5 large bedrooms, 6 baths, 2 half baths, 2 offices, a master bedroom floor with Central park views wonderfully large dressing area, spa like bathroom and terrace. The professional chef’s kitchen and dining room open onto a Zen-like bamboo garden. The roof terrace has sweeping park views. - - JamesEdition

Posted by gerardvanderleun at December 15, 2013 11:20 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

Whoever remodeled the interior should be walled up in it. Why on earth would anyone gut a gorgeous old Victorian like that and turn it into some modernist American Psycho nightmare?. There must be dozens of high-rise suites around Manhattan for the people who want to live in that.

If I ever hit some $400 million Powerball, I may feel compelled to buy it and then sink another few million into restoring it.

Posted by: Umbriel at December 16, 2013 12:16 AM

All that money to live in that sh*thole, N.Y.?

Posted by: tripletap at December 16, 2013 5:36 AM

LOL, $32 million to live like rats in New York City and we in the fly over area's are crazy.....you just can't make this shit up! I have a spare closet you idiots can rent really cheap!

Posted by: bartdp at December 16, 2013 6:18 AM

Just give it time, guys. Any "a Zen-like bamboo garden" is invasive enough to take over the entire Big Apple.

Posted by: Fausta at December 16, 2013 6:46 AM

Posted by: Fausta at December 16, 2013 6:51 AM

What are the big gray *eggs* in the gym area?

If I had $32mil I wouldn't waste it on this monstrosity.

I'd get 1000 acres in the mountains and build a 5000sf self contained fortress of solitude right in the middle.

Posted by: ghostsniper at December 16, 2013 7:01 AM

Good lord, what have they done? The outside is so gorgeous, and the inside is just soulless, cold and horrible. To borrow an idea from Sippican, it's like someone raided a Home Depot catalog and replicated the most generic-looking room from each page. Dreadful.

Posted by: Julie at December 16, 2013 7:11 AM

I'm not buying that house unless my dogs like it.

Posted by: Lorne at December 16, 2013 7:43 AM

I knew an elderly couple forty years ago who lived in a five-story brownstone on East 76th. None of the appointments had been touched for years. The same red silk damask from the turn of the century adorned the walls on the first floor. The staircases were narrow, and the hand-rails were hand-carved. In fact, there were five hand-carved fireplaces---one on each level---some of marble, some of stone, some of wood. They also had an indoor floor-to-ceiling aviary designed by Tiffany with ceiling treatment and windows of Tiffany glass. They installed a large bar over the glass window shortly after the Lindberg baby kidnapping, and had never taken it down. They also owned one of the first elevators Sam Otis, a good friend, ever produced, which went up the entire building. I remember two portrait photos from the early fifties sitting on a desk in the third-floor study: one of their daughters looked like Lana Turner, and the other resembled Natalie Wood.

I'll say nothing of their estate in Westport. Let's just say it made you feel as if you might bump into Cary Grant or Katherine Hepburn---or both--at any moment.

There's New York, and then there's New York.

Posted by: ahem at December 16, 2013 7:49 AM

♬♪•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨*••*♫♪
Oh give me land, lots of land and starry skies above...don't fence me in. Mizz E in Texas

Posted by: MizzE at December 16, 2013 10:56 AM

How much is that in trinkets?

Posted by: BillH at December 16, 2013 1:40 PM

@ghost, the gray eggs are inflatable exercise balls. One is definitely round, the other might be oblong, or it might just look distorted because of the mirror.

I'd have no problem with living in a big city like NY, but my Mega Millions numbers didn't come in this week, so 32 mil is a bit out of my reach at the moment. And the Ikea-on-steroids decor doesn't make the place any more attractive.

Posted by: waltj at December 16, 2013 3:23 PM