« What to wear to Davy Jones' Locker | Main | Syria is the major crisis of modern geopolitical history. »

September 7, 2013

Ed Asner Explains Hollywood Silence on Obama, Syria: They 'Don't Want to Feel Anti-Black'

ed_asner_mike_farrell_a_l.jpg

In 2003, ahead of a U.S. attack on Iraq, a robust anti-war movement in Hollywood included a TV commercial starring Martin Sheen and Sean Penn visiting Baghdad
. There were online petitions signed by Ed Asner; letters to President George W. Bush pleading for peace were signed by Matt Damon, Tim Robbins, Barbra Streisand and Alec Baldwin; former M*A*S*H star Mike Farrell fronted multiple press conferences where celebrities denounced war. In interviews, Janeane Garofalo stopped identifying herself as an actor -- she preferred to be called a member of the U.S. anti-war movement. - - Syria: Why Hollywood's Anti-War Voices Are Quiet

Posted by gerardvanderleun at September 7, 2013 8:11 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

Ed Asner continues to illustrate that he's the guy he played on television - mean, childish, spiteful, and self-righteous. The photo accompanying that article perfectly portrays his personality.

Posted by: Rob De Witt at September 7, 2013 8:40 AM

I have no doubt that's part of the reason, probably a major part. But there's another reason: what I call the "Drum Effect." Around 2004, leftist pundit Kevin Drum said he agreed with a lot of the complaints about Iran and concerns, but refused to state so publicly or write about them out of the fear that it might help Republicans.

These guys are worried that criticizing Democrats will help Republicans out, and that must never be allowed.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor at September 7, 2013 8:56 AM

So what this bum is saying is that he and his fellow travelers are treating barack obama differently because of the color of his skin.
RACISM!!!
And here is exposed one of the great dangers of electing this man into office BECAUSE of the color of his skin- they have to allow incompetence to pass without saying a word, for fear of being branded a racist!
Oh, the irony!
(Oh, the stupidity!!!)
Affirmative action...look how far it's taken us.

Posted by: Uncle Jefe at September 7, 2013 9:34 AM

Jefe -

Tell me whether you (like me) predicted this whole deal the instant that melanin-enhanced face showed up in the 2008 Democrat "candidate debates."

I was instantly cast into gloom as I realized that "RAAAAYCISUM!!!" was gonna be the drumbeat to which I ended my life. Depressing.

Posted by: Rob De Witt at September 7, 2013 11:37 AM

All these Hollywood mooks oughta walk their talk. Charter a couple jets, go over to Syria and host a big hugging fun-filled festival. Gee, kinda like a Save The World event. Failing that they could sponsor some of the refugees, bring them over to Malibu and house them, feed them.

BTW, I don't see any of the New Black Panthers rushing over there to help their Muslim brothers, or sending them money and stuff. Y'know, in a color-blind sorta way.

Posted by: chasmatic at September 7, 2013 12:18 PM

Years of lecturing everyone else to be color-blind, but they do not have the courage to act on that principle when they should. I wonder if it is because being color-blind in our expectations of the performance of our leaders is the LAST thing they really want.

Posted by: Ray Van Dune at September 7, 2013 1:15 PM

Oh these days its considered RACIST to be color blind. I'm not kidding, its the latest progressive talking point: ignoring race is being genocidal to culture, you're trying to destroy their blackness by being colorblind.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor at September 7, 2013 1:43 PM

You better believe it, Rob, but I'll tell you that they can call me whatever they want, and it matters nothing to me.
I know who and what I am, and I will speak and act without fear.
They are cowards, and their overuse of "racist" "sexist" "homophobe" etc has diminished THEM, not caused me to evaluate myself.
They don't know my life story, who I call friend and family, what I've been through.
I will not be ashamed for things that I haven't done, nor bear the illegitimate guilt that they try to force upon me.

The most eloquent way I can put it is thusly:
They can go fuck themselves.

Posted by: Uncle Jefe at September 7, 2013 3:14 PM

MLK wept.

Posted by: Ron at September 7, 2013 3:16 PM

Liberals know they are racists. That is why they work so hard to generate a record of non-racist positions. They live like racists. They think like racists. They are racists, but with a resume' of positions and statements to the contrary.

Posted by: Scott M at September 7, 2013 6:02 PM

I offer this example to illustrate a point; don't go flamin' me for it.

Even the KKK and the New Black Panthers can be trusted. They state their position clearly and walk their talk. I consider them both as my mortal enemies but I know where they're coming from.

Liberals are two-faced lying manipulative sneaky chiseling phony ... achh, you get it. They're like egg-sucking dogs. Once one gets into the henhouse the only thing to do is put 'im down.

Posted by: chasmatic at September 7, 2013 9:39 PM

Apparently a big Hollywood rally was held, I guess the stares of disbelief and feeling of hypocrisy got too much for even them.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor at September 8, 2013 8:43 PM