« Oh gag me with a Cuisinart | Main | Why Russia is recoiling from America »

August 8, 2013

"Suckered away from self-service."

I hate the fact that automobilies have become too complex for people to fix themselves.
That computing devices are becoming more opaque. That shoes can no longer be repaired, nor clothing nor houses. We seem to be riding a technological wave of opaquely obsolescent product, and that not only accellerates a wasteful consumerism, but it poisons what's good about *any* consumerism. Suckered Away - Cobb

Posted by gerardvanderleun at August 8, 2013 10:33 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

Re: "That shoes can no longer be repaired"

Gentlemen, buy Allen Edmonds shoes - made in the USA, and can be recrafted http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/RecraftingView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

Ladies, most high-qualilty women's shoes with leather soles can also be recrafted. The hard part is finding a good cobbler.

Posted by: Fausta at August 9, 2013 6:48 AM

That soldering iron sits cold on the desk, it is cheaper to buy new and get a better product than it is to repair. -sigh-

Posted by: Potsie at August 9, 2013 7:08 AM

I haven't seen one, but have heard that Microsoft has glued the Surface 1514 together, making it next to impossible to tear down. The earlier 1516 is screwed together, making it feasible to take apart and fix.

Posted by: BillH at August 9, 2013 7:51 AM

Don't report me but I still try to repair my stuff.

The problem is, it's getting harder to find the parts or raw material. I keep a horde of old electronics down in the basement to salvage for parts, most the the old caps and coils and whatnot of twenty years ago and more are of much better quality then the crap inside the shiny new junk.

Posted by: John the River at August 9, 2013 8:59 AM

There's still duct tape, gorilla glue, contact cement, zip ties, safety pins ...and hammers. Bring it.

Posted by: Joan of Argghh! at August 9, 2013 12:30 PM

Hooey.

Should I ever bother to point out the legions of specialists necessary for primitive medieval tech to function? Most of them have become names: tailor, tinker, farrier, blacksmith, cutler… Who anywhere believes every Cro-Magnon fashioned his own spearpoints?

Posted by: ErisGuy at August 10, 2013 7:06 AM

John the River, "...harder to find the parts or raw material...." Ebay is your friend.

Posted by: BillH at August 10, 2013 7:36 AM