« Earth Hour Is a Colossal Waste of Time—and Energy | Main | “These costs are nothing out of the ordinary." »

March 25, 2013

DHS supplies ammo for “nearly 100,000″ federal agents?

DHS Ammo Purchases: The Math Don't Add Up According to a search I did of wikipedia

on various federal law enforcement agencies I see that the FBI has 13,000 special agents authorized to carry a gun. The DEA/ICE has 11,000 such agents. The ATF (Secret Service, Treasury Dept.) has 2,000 armed goons. For all the misc. agencies that have acquired permission to arm their personnel over the last few years, like: Dept. of Education, Social Security Administration, Housing and Urban Development, the Weather Service, FAA, Dept. of Energy, et al, I’ll add an additional 2,000 gun bearers with badges. That comes to around 28,000 federal agents, not “nearly 100,000.”
Maybe DHS is planning on having to go to war against the Marines. Serving now or retired. [Report: Obama Ousting Marine CENTCOM Chief Mattis]

Posted by gerardvanderleun at March 25, 2013 1:27 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

I am sure *IF* and when the republicans ever gain power again big government will be peachy keen and good again.

Posted by: potsie at March 25, 2013 2:46 PM

Yes Potsie, but right now they're not. And besides, what makes you think that the typical poster here would be "fine" anymore with either party over-arming federal goons? You're really very late to the party as far as your "brilliant" "revelations" go. Go battle strawmen somewhere else.

Posted by: Don Rodrigo at March 25, 2013 3:15 PM

Pottie has a point. Just kidding Potsie!

This is happening under both parties right now and the Republican controlled congress seems/is incapable or unwilling to do anything about it. The f'ing GOP hates you Don Rodrigo every bit as much as the f'ing Donks hate you. You do know that don't you? No straw man in my line of sight my friend.

Posted by: iri at March 25, 2013 3:35 PM

I would say "no straw man in my line of fire" -- lots of hollow men, though.

A lot of libertarians are waking up to the fact that there are more important things than legalizing pot, just as a lot of conservatives are waking up to the fact that there are no "good" government expenditures or growth.

It's way too late to "nip it in the bud". We've moved out of Barney Fife territory. It's time to start quoting John the Baptist, Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. (Matthew 3:10).

Posted by: mushroom at March 25, 2013 4:59 PM

That was chilling, Mush. Indeed.

Going back to my plowshare...

Posted by: Cond0011 at March 26, 2013 6:14 AM

Republican, democrats, libertarians...doesn't matter. E pluribus unum has been effectively balkanized by gutless pandering politicians of all stripes. It appears that Le Bon's observation about all societies and cultures eventually succumbing to decadence is being proved again. Something will emerge from it, but it will be devoid of essential liberties. It's going to be all about crowd control.

Posted by: Richard at March 26, 2013 9:52 AM

Excuse me "Iri," did you even Read what I wrote? If you read my statement again you will see that I have a problem with either major party over-arming domestic security forces. My irritation was with Potsie, and his actual point in his post. The "strawmen" Potsie is sneering at are imaginary American Digest posters who are supposedly fine with one party doing this stuff as opposed to the other.

For the record: when the DHS was being proposed in 2002, I wrote a letter to the Washington Times saying we didn't need no frakkin' "Homeland Security," not the Republican version (non-union) nor the Democratic version (unionized). The "WT" agreed with me and published my letter. My/our, including "Potsie's," fears are being realized. My issue here is with Potsie thinking he's clever by showing up first and peeing in the conversational soup. He comes here to harrass for no good reason at all.

Posted by: Don Rodrigo at March 26, 2013 10:30 AM

OK, can I now do a post on the actual subject at hand, if "Iri" and "Potsie" don't mind?

The math on the ammo purchases never added up. Supposedly, there are articles floating out there showing that our concerns are alarmism, and our "math" is wrong. Maybe, but I just don't see it that way.

One intriguing thought: we're under the impression -- based on language we've heard from DHS and the demonization zeitsgeist, that this arming-up is intended to thwart "right-wing" insurrections. Maybe not. Despite the ourageous paranoia about the "right," at some level I think that this administration and the burgeoning "security state" know that the primary sources of violence are the state's own lower-level constituents. They may be preparing to deal "with their own" voters/clients who will be very pissed off should the free stuff stop flowing. The inner-city has a major track record for mass violence. Student-led leftists violence? Ditto. The "Tea Party" has none, and the fringe right has had very little for decades now. I don't think the powers-that-be care who they have to mow down if push-ever-comes-to-shove. It only matters that in the aftermath they can blame "certain parties," and declare martial law.

Posted by: Don Rodrigo at March 26, 2013 10:42 AM