« Errand into the Wilderness | Main | Francois Hollande: French president who claims to 'dislike the rich' has 3 French Riviera homes »

May 14, 2012

Pepsi vs Coke

coke-pepsi.jpg

"The initial Pepsi logo is the best. They were obviously trying to rip off the Coke logo, but failed miserably. It's as if Sam the drunk tried scrawling the first Pepsi logo in between doing shots of bourbon out of butt-filled bottles, and injecting meth straight into his eye socket. 'We need more shaking, Sam, double up on the shaking!' " -- Mitchieville Tradition

Posted by gerardvanderleun at May 14, 2012 7:24 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

I see that the image neglected the New Coke debacle, but I try to pretend that era never existed.

Posted by: physics geek at May 14, 2012 9:49 AM

New Coke is like Highlander 2: it never happened.

I like the 1974 Pepsi logo the best, but its what I grew up with. Never liked Pepsi much, RC was my favorite, then Coke, but that's a good logo.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor at May 14, 2012 11:10 AM

New Coke was a genius, advertising stunt to under-cut Pepsi.

Years ago I knew a girl that took
'The Pepsi Challenge', (a blind taste-test) and was chosen for one of the TV spots.

How did you decide on the Pepsi?, I asked, Was it really better than Coca Cola?.. "If you wanted to be on the TV, pick the sweeter of the two", she said.

New Coke was sweeter (not better) than original Coke. It appealed to the youths.

Then, back by popular demand.. Original Coke.

Posted by: Rocky at May 14, 2012 11:14 AM

Pepsi smells like those old-fashioned deodorant cakes that janitors hang inside the toilet bowls.

Posted by: Deborah at May 14, 2012 11:33 AM

The one I like and remember best is the one from the '50s. Small, cold glass bottles with caps that needed an opener -- that was an experience. Now it's just another plastic addiction.

Posted by: mushroom at May 14, 2012 12:03 PM

@mushroom---I have one of those wall-mounted Coca Cola bottle openers. Drop forged and plated, with red enamel lettering. It's been in my family for 50 years. We use it to open our Dos Equis cerveza bottles, but I'd use it for bottled Coke if I could find any.

Posted by: Deborah at May 14, 2012 12:18 PM

Don't talk about Dos Equis. Today is the 29th anniversary of my last beer. (Not that I'm keeping track or anything.)

Everybody have one for me while I weep.

Posted by: mushroom at May 14, 2012 1:25 PM

I can remember when Coke syrup was a standard parental remedy for a kid with a stomach ache. My mother's older sister ran a small soda fountain/sandwich shop and used to supply the extended family with Coke syrup when needed. It worked pretty well, too.

Posted by: PA Cat at May 14, 2012 2:23 PM

The new Pepsi logo looks rather Obama-ish...if that's a word.

Posted by: SteveS at May 14, 2012 7:27 PM

A&W Root beer served in iced mugs. We knew if we'd been good all week, Dad would take us out to the A&W Drive in and we'd get burgers and root beer.
That's what I miss.

Posted by: Jewel at May 14, 2012 9:55 PM

Jewel;

We'd go out to the Twin Kiss, get those vanilla/chocolate swirled soft ice cream cones. I believe there's still one in Manheim, on 72. At least, there was one the last time we were there in '06.

Posted by: Dave at May 15, 2012 4:38 AM