« Satanic Hispanic: "Here is another article in a long list of articles" | Main | Black Crack »

May 29, 2012

Lately, the worst thing about following a link that goes to National Review....

is that you've got to confront the image of that smug, porky and flatulent Jonah Goldberg puffing his latest and most boring book before clicking through to important people like... Thomas Sowell on ‘Meaningful Work’ [Update: Cris solves the problem in the comments.]

Posted by gerardvanderleun at May 29, 2012 12:58 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

Is there any way to disable that annoying pop-up?

Posted by: pst314 at May 29, 2012 2:08 PM

...but I disagree about his book (not boring) and the air was fine at the last book signing I went to...

Posted by: pst314 at May 29, 2012 2:10 PM

If you don't have it already, install 'Adblock Plus'. Then add this rule to block that popup: |http://global.nationalreview.com/images/layove*

Posted by: Cris at May 29, 2012 2:55 PM

Thank you very much, Cris!

Posted by: pst314 at May 29, 2012 4:10 PM

It works! You, Cris, are a great human being.

Posted by: vanderleun at May 29, 2012 4:34 PM

Here's what I don't get. There seem to be a class of fallen away traditional "New Deal" left-liberals, now hostile to Obama and his ilk, and who have rediscovered the founding principles of our country (securing the blessings of Liberty for ourselves and our Posterity).

And yet they remain emotionally hostile (ad hom so) to mainline Republicans.

For as long as any living American, the Republican's bedrock principle is securing Liberty; for the Democrats, it's securing Fairness.

You cannot be opposed to both. If you want Fairness-lite, you have no power to prevent the next person in line who claims that life has treated them unfairly, and the rich must pay.

When you go about securing Liberty, and reach the limit of other people's money, you have also reached the limit of blessings enjoyed by everyone.

When you go about securing Fairness, and run out of money, you have beggared your country.

The one pulls everyone up. The other pulls everyone down. There is no Third Way. Today's Progressives are the inevitable spawn of the New Dealers.

Posted by: John A. Fleming at May 29, 2012 4:50 PM

After thinking about this some more. Sales, salesmanship, salesman, and advertisoing are absolutely essential to free enterprise, the absolutely fabulous business model that marries Liberty and Commerce.

A good sales pitch helps you to make up your mind. But it also has to push and urge you to make up your mind right now: because you will naturally decide not to decide. Sales done skillfully, you end up being relieved and happy to get past the decision point, and grateful to the pushy salesman who guided you.

Sales tactics don't work equally for all people. Some people need only a gentle nudge. Other people will never decide without a particularly persistent approach.

I got no probs complaining about the annoying NR sales pitch. Most pitches are annoying. Our family has a tradition of gleeful scorn of all sales pitches: we are vocal and vigorous scoffers. But the name-calling of Goldberg, a Happy Warrior, went too far. And to my mind, when somebody goes too far, they're really complaining about something else.

Posted by: John A. Fleming at May 29, 2012 6:08 PM

Haven't read Goldberg's latest. I thought Liberal Fascism was a very good read. Met Jonah once for a quick beer before he had to "sing for his supper" with the crew that brought him to the university. He's a fine gentleman. As for the pop up, yes, it annoys me. But that is NRO marketing him, just as his publisher does. He might find it offensive, he might not. It's part of the game.

Posted by: Velociman at May 29, 2012 8:22 PM

OT: On Don Surber's blog I used to say that as a president I wanted the one that was the closest to being Dwight Eisenhower. Your quote reminded me of that, and I say it again - I want a president with the courage and executive skills of Dwight Eisenhower.

You can save all of the rest of the inspiration-stuff for the likes of Choomy Choomy Bam Bam.

Posted by: Mikey NTH at May 29, 2012 8:58 PM

Thanks in favor of sharing such a pleasant opinion,
article is fastidious, thats why i have read it entirely

Posted by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWF4AFSGbJk at May 6, 2013 3:22 PM

Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new
to me. Anyhow, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and