« Not worth the paper they are printed on.... | Main | Makes Nothing, Does Nothing, Is Nothing »

May 21, 2012

In One Minute Learn How to Make the Most Perfect Bacon Ever

You're welcome.

Posted by gerardvanderleun at May 21, 2012 10:00 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

I panfry hamburgers the same way.

Posted by: Cheesy at May 21, 2012 10:57 AM

Arrange your bacon on a baker's cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet. I have one with inch and a half sides, so I put water in it. (One of these days I'm going to experiment with red wine). Place in the oven at 350 degrees for half an hour or so. I always look in on it every ten minutes, I can't resist the smell.

The cooling rack is a variation on the way the mess hall at MCRD San Diego did bacon--oven frying. Instead of the bacon lying in the grease as it cooks, most of the fat drips down to rest in the cookie sheet, and you get bacon that doesn't char as easily, and most of the fat rendered away.

An advantage if that if you are baking biscuits for breakfast, you can use the other oven rack to slide the bacon in and cook it at the same time as you bake, and it leaves the stove top free for something else.

Posted by: Mike James at May 21, 2012 11:22 AM

Yep Mike. That's how I make bacon. Never burnt, never undercooked. And save that rendered fat. Makes the best gravies and fried potatoes.

Posted by: Jewel at May 21, 2012 12:53 PM

I gotta get a pound of bacon and check this out! I've tried the oven method, and it works great; drizzle some maraschino cherry juice on the bacon to pep it up.

Posted by: Mike Anderson at May 21, 2012 1:05 PM

as another delusional Bacon-Fan ....

slow cook the best/thickest you can find, draining off fat a little bit at a time, but not so much that the bacon's in a "dry pan"

keep it movin in your biggest cast-iron skillet

when done to a wonderful brown color, CAREFULLY add in 1 C of real apple juice; the kind that you have to shake to get the bottom-sludged pectins mixed back in qualifies ... use a splatter guard

cook over medium heat til the AJs cooked off

no leftovers

this will convert vegans to the Porcine Side

Posted by: OhioDude at May 21, 2012 1:41 PM

Sure makes me glad I'm not a Muslim.

Posted by: Jimmy J. at May 21, 2012 4:32 PM

Mmmm... bacon!

Posted by: Fausta at May 21, 2012 4:36 PM

I'm with Mike - cooling sheet on a pan, in the oven at 400 degrees. Preheat for crisp, straight in for chewy/crisp.

Posted by: ThomasD at May 21, 2012 6:44 PM

@Mike James: Wowsers. I can taste it again...

Platoon 2013, graduated earlier this month... 32 years ago.

Semper Fi, sir.

Posted by: TmjUtah at May 21, 2012 8:26 PM

Posted by: Jewel at May 21, 2012 8:50 PM

TmjUtah, Platoon 1118, Nov.'80-Feb.'81.

Semper Fi and Oohrah! back at you, brother.

Posted by: Mike James at May 21, 2012 11:02 PM

Required viewing at Guantanamo?

Posted by: Anonymous at May 22, 2012 4:44 AM

"Required viewing at Guantanamo?" Yep, it's one of the enhanced "torture" techniques.

Posted by: Jimmy J. at May 22, 2012 8:17 AM

Cooking Bacon in the oven 30 to works just fine 35 minutes at 325° F on a Jelly Roll pan really works fine. Pam the surface first for easy clean up. There is no need to place the bacon on a rack while doing it. Learned the technique from a prison cook years ago. She told me that the state prison fed the inmates better than her own family could afford at home, BTW.

As to BACON if you really want the best order some from Benton’s Smoky Mountain Country Hams. They sell arguably the best bacon in the country. Here is their web page:

Dan Kurt

Posted by: Dan Kurt at May 22, 2012 5:38 PM

Trying again:

Cooking Bacon in the oven 30 to 35 minutes at 325° F directly on a Jelly Roll pan really works fine. Pam the surface first for easy clean up. There is no need to place the bacon on a rack while doing it. I learned the technique from a prison cook years ago. She told me that the state prison fed the inmates better than her own family could afford at home, BTW.

Dan Kurt