« Footnote to Trayvon Martin The liberal narrative about the case is now destroyed; | Main | "They were following a Pied Piper… over a cliff. " »

April 23, 2012

'Britain's most beautiful face'

article-2132896-127E2CCA000005DC-111_642x939.jpg

Leonardo Da Vinci spent a lifetime trying to paint one. Scientists and mathematicians have puzzled for centuries over what makes one, while cosmetic surgeons have amassed fortunes striving to create one. And Florence Colgate? Well, she simply has one. -- Mail Online

Bumped for Update:
aacolgate-symmetry_study.jpg

Donald Sensing is working for us: I took the left half and right half of her face, flipped them and combined them, respectively, into a composited portrait.

Posted by gerardvanderleun at April 23, 2012 8:29 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

What's wrong with her lips?!? Crikey, there's like a hole or hollow in there. Oh. Never mind.

Posted by: Velociman at April 23, 2012 3:02 PM

And the hole in her lips is too...oh, never mind.

Posted by: Talnik at April 23, 2012 3:56 PM

It's her mouth. It's on crooked. Liberal perfection I guess.

Posted by: I-RIGHT-I at April 23, 2012 3:57 PM

^^ Sour Grapes Club?

Posted by: Anonymous at April 23, 2012 4:20 PM

Genes courtesy of those 10th Century Vikings. (Bless 'em)

Posted by: GaGator at April 23, 2012 4:27 PM

Nice!

Posted by: Brett_McS at April 23, 2012 5:15 PM

Cute girl, but we need to know more:

Posted by: Fat Man at April 23, 2012 6:42 PM

While her face is very symmetrical, it is not perfectly so. I took the left half and right half of her face, flipped them and combined them, respectively, into a composited portrait. You may see it in PDF at this link (which is perishable).

It seems to me that the right half of her face is more beautiful than the left, but it's all good!

JPEG is here.

Posted by: Donald Sensing at April 23, 2012 7:34 PM

Left, right, composited - still all in all a very pretty young girl.

Posted by: R Daneel at April 23, 2012 8:29 PM

She's much prettier asymmetrically speaking.

Posted by: Jewel at April 23, 2012 8:59 PM

The word "respectively" is confusing me, I think. Because, as you listed two things and two actions it suggests two final outcomes and there's only one picture.

"I took the boy and the girl, disrobed and painted them, respectively, to create this thing here."

Could you explain again what the final pic is? It's not just reversed like a mirror.

Posted by: perry oxide at April 24, 2012 12:51 AM

There are three portraits at the links (one is PDF, the other is a JPG). The original portrait of Ms. Colgate is in the center. The left portrait was made this way: I edited out Colgate's left side, her left, not your left as you face the photo. That left me with a pic of the right half of her face. I saved this to a new file. Then I flipped it horizontally, or made a mirror image of the half-portrait, and saved that to a new file. Now I have two JPGs of the right half of her face, one normal and the other flipped. When I combined them to make a single photo the result is what you see.

On the right side of the JPG is the result of doing the same thing with the left side of her face.

Posted by: Donald Sensing at April 24, 2012 3:33 AM

BTW, what made me think of doing this was recollecting from some years ago an article on what makes movie stars, well, stars. Looks is of course a huge thing. The article said that not only was Denzel Washington's face one of the most handsome in glitterland, it was also nearly perfectly symmetrical. An accompanying photo of a composite of one-half of his face mirrored and recombined seemed to confirm. So for kicks and grins I decided to experiment with Colgate''s portrait.

Posted by: Donald Sensing at April 24, 2012 5:54 AM

Final analysis: The slightly quizzical, are-you-putting-me-on look of the original is much more intriguing than either composite portrait, each of which suggests a boring duh mentality.

Posted by: BillH at April 24, 2012 7:32 AM

The explanation of how the left and right face pictures were constructed says he used HER left make the left image, HER right, etc., but it appears he did in fact use OUR left / right, unless the images have been either transposed or flipped as a group.

Posted by: Sherlock at April 24, 2012 8:12 AM

Oops. Obviously I cannot read - he said he "edited out" her left side... Duh.

Posted by: Sherlock at April 24, 2012 8:29 AM

I like the rest of her too. What we need here is more English babes, and fewer of the world's peasants.

Posted by: Casca at April 24, 2012 8:52 AM

She is a very pretty girl and on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being Liz or Grace I'm awarding a solid 7 crooked mouth or not.

Posted by: I-RIGHT-I at April 24, 2012 9:37 AM