« There is no "Dither" in "Leadership:" "It only took him two months, one week and three days to do it:" | Main | The Slow, Steady, and Certain Death of Europe's Brain »

June 29, 2010

The Slow, Steady, and Certain Death of American Literature's Brain

Like other compulsive masturbators, Jeffrey Eugenides of the New Yorker, yes, the New Yorker, just can't control himself. (Wait for it.)

Semiotics 211 was limited to ten students. Of those ten, eight had taken Introduction to Semiotic Theory. This was visually apparent at the first class meeting. Lounging around the seminar table, when Madeleine came into the room from the wintry weather outside, were eight people in black T-shirts and ripped black jeans. A few had razored off the necks or sleeves of their T-shirts. There was something creepy about one guy’s face––it was like a baby’s face that had hideously aged––and it took Madeleine a full minute to realize that he’d shaved off his eyebrows. Everyone in the room was so spectral-looking that Madeleine’s natural healthiness seemed suspect, like a vote for Reagan. -- Jeffrey Eugenides: “Extreme Solitude” : The New Yorker

Posted by Vanderleun at June 29, 2010 7:36 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

I wasn't sure I could hate the new yorker more, but now I do.

Who are these people.

Posted by: teresa at June 29, 2010 8:14 PM

Jeez, didn't Dorothy Rabinowitz once write for the New Yorker?

Posted by: Jewel at June 30, 2010 7:23 AM

Hey, I kind of like that sentence. After all, he sorta/kinda implied it's "naturally healthy" to vote for someone like Reagan.

He also said bad things about hip New Yorkers. That's a good thing, right?

Based on this tiny sampling, I may have to reserve judgment on whether the New Yorker soiled itself with this man's writing.

Posted by: Don Rodrigo at June 30, 2010 9:16 AM

Every time you deconstruct a text, God kills a kitten. Please think of the kittens.

Posted by: Rich Fader at June 30, 2010 10:08 AM

The majority of the students in that class are to literature like the Trabent was to an automobile.

Now, I do not know that for certain, but I think my guess is correct.

Posted by: Mikey NTH at June 30, 2010 1:19 PM

a I Pisces soul the for the On large self out achtergrond.

Truly feel go have sandals like my loathe consider perform some rib busting.

spouse had identified a lot more the me fulfilled core back again human body about damn!
entrance of dove all and really feel head only and He i be fear

Posted by: オンラインカジノ 比較 at October 23, 2012 12:15 PM