« A Web Page Called "NEOCON WTF"! | Main | Fertilizer »

May 4, 2010

Opting Out

Daphne on Leaving The Reservation @ Jaded Haven
A silent tide is sweeping across the country among family men of a certain age.... Many have served our country, in war zones, with distinguished honor. They gladly earn their bread while supporting complete strangers who don't, can't or won't work. They span the spectrum from blue collar workers to successful entrepreneurs. A number of these good men have been sniffing the wind for the past two years and they're calling it a day. Bolt holes are being created, money is being transferred out of the market and into solid commodities, debt load is being reduced with an eye towards further economic collapse. Politics have become meaningless to this breed, they're done, disgusted, fed up with whole cesspool. These men are looking at American life in a whole new way.

"You take off your insignia. Escape
is just a simple matter
of melting into the landscape."

Posted by Vanderleun at May 4, 2010 1:24 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

I've been talking up this notion for somer time now.

Talking. These guys ae acting.

Posted by: Don Rodrigo at May 4, 2010 1:56 PM

Now we know who John Galt is.

Posted by: Jewel at May 4, 2010 3:09 PM

That approach just doesn't make sense. We still need to function as a society whether it's going in a direction you like or not. Simply trying to withdraw doesn't help and may in fact hurt. The "Tea Party" approach seems more logical; i.e. a very large wake up call to both the Republican and Democratic parties.

Posted by: Barnabus at May 4, 2010 3:55 PM

Really, Barnabus, I have to do this? I got my ass shot up in the Nam, told I was shit when I came back.

I worked, paid, saved, and now I've gone Galt. You deal with the idiots; be light of foot or you'll be under the mess when in collapses.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck at May 4, 2010 4:28 PM

He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.

My family is getting ready to go it alone. Mobs and riots do not respond well to reason or vote totals.

Posted by: raincityjazz at May 4, 2010 6:14 PM

Crap. Got me.

Food, water, meds for chronic conditions... for a year. I'd like to pay off the house, but Mrs. Utah is worried about retirement.

Me... not so much.

If you haven't talked with your MD about possibilities, please do. You might be surprised what kind of topics the professional medical community is kicking around these days.

It will be interesting to see which class is hunted down first; the rich, or the doctors?

Posted by: TmjUtah at May 4, 2010 8:34 PM

I have gone Galt by paying in cash and not putting anything in the banks. Also, have given up my credit cards. Also, am very mobile, and anything I have is expendable, except for my guns. In the present climate we all live in, if we become attached to our materialistic acquisitions instead of our values, then we are slaves.

Posted by: Cilla Mitchell, Galveston Texas at May 5, 2010 4:20 AM

What those worried about "going Galt" should know is that this will expand the underground economy, which interacts with the visible economy all the time. When you also consider that 12-20 million illegals have formed their own communities under our noses, there's no reason to expect that "Galts" wouldn't do the same. Take into account the democratization of certain manufacturing and product development technologies, and people can have clandestine, high-tech "Machiladoras" on the North side of the border, producing actual durable goods that actual people will buy under the table, and, suddenly, this approach does make sense. It would be a phenomenon the greater society would eventually have to reckon with.

Another thing is: if we have enough people going this route (the tipping point may be, ironically, numbers similar to the illegals), those "Galts" will find that they may have to fight for their way of life after all.

Posted by: Don Rodrigo at May 5, 2010 10:19 AM

The Gummint plays down the size of the Underground Economy" lest more people realize how they are getting screwed.

This is the reason Obama and the Jackasses are looking at the VAT.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck at May 5, 2010 12:16 PM

VAT is just another reason to go underground...

Posted by: Cheezburgrrr at May 5, 2010 7:11 PM