« 30 Dead from Floods in Nashville? And you hear.... Crickets. | Main | In which I use one of those disturbingly long and prolix blog headlines that are infesting the sphere to reflect that while I love Newsweek sinking out of sight I'm sorry the editor isn't going down with it... »

May 7, 2010

I am ETHANOL! Destroyer of CARS!

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) may soon make it possible for gasoline mixes to include up to 25% ethanol.
Ethanol already has proved to be more polluting, less efficient, and more expensive than just gasoline and government subsidies to produce it is causing food shortages worldwide. That doesn't stop lefties in government from pushing it, though. And auto manufacturers have tested half the engines being manufactured so far and they've got some bad news for supporters of this new plan:
More ethanol will confuse exhaust control systems and make engines run too hot, destroying catalytic converters, automakers say. It can also damage engine cylinders, they say. For some car owners, “you will be walking, eventually,” Mr. Jones said.

The Ethanol Industry claims its all just a big oil scheme to stop their product from being used, but the oil industry could care less - seeing as they tend to own most of these outfits. Its the auto makers warning that this would destroy cars. -- Word Around the Net: WORD AROUND THE NET

Posted by Vanderleun at May 7, 2010 7:17 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

I thought CA boaters were suing because of the damage ethanol caused their motors.

Posted by: Becky at May 7, 2010 9:12 PM

Stopping the subsidies would cause that market to crash. Like most Lefty ideas, this too runs on OPM.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck at May 8, 2010 5:55 AM

In another blog I reported on a project in my AP Chemistry class on ethanol based fuels. In summary:
1 - Up t0 10% ethanol = lower performance, more nitrogen oxides, degraded performance - noticeable when climbing hills.
2 - 10% to 30% ethanol - degraded horsepower, lots of pollutants, drastically lower "Fuel Mileage", hotter engines, and wear and tear due to degrading lubrication performance (ie. the oil in your engine has to work harder to lubricate correctly).
Can't get around these facts - they're based on thermodynamics and well known theoretical chemistry.
Who is running EPA? A bunch of engineering morons.

Posted by: Good Ole Charlie at May 8, 2010 8:40 AM

You think lefties give a rat's ass if ethanol destroys cars?

Posted by: Pete Madsen at May 8, 2010 11:23 AM

To the Greenies and the Left (but I repeat myself), that's a feature, not a bug.

Posted by: Donald Sensing at May 8, 2010 12:51 PM

Not to mention all of the potable water that is needed to produce even a gallon (4:1) of this crap!

Posted by: Milwaukee Mike at May 8, 2010 6:55 PM

We are governed by fools and idiots.

Posted by: Jewel at May 8, 2010 8:56 PM

Hey, guys...

I agree that lefties are of another planet, but I have a problem with Vermont Woodchuck's chemistry results.

I drive a 93 Cadillac with 173,000 miles on the odometer. It has had nothing but 10% corn in it it's whole life. I should point that this is NOT the NorthStar V-8 version.

The spark plugs have not been changed and hopefully won't have to be since they're probably welded in place after all this time.

All of the original fuel injectors still work as advertised some 50,000 miles past their expected life span. I say expected because the other 4 cars powered with an identical motor in the small town (pop 168) I live in never went beyond 125k before experiencing failures. Those 4 lived on a premium fuel diet.

As for performance, I can't honestly say if my "boot and scoot" is in the bucket...but she still gets to 60 in around 8 seconds and...at 60 on a straight and level road without the a/c on I have managed to get an indicated 40 mpg.

Before you say "ya sure", if you've got the capacity I've got a short flick taken on I-80 in Nebraska I'll be happy to send you to dispel your doubts. My wife did the numbers for that 257 mile stretch of the trip on her calculator and our average was 33.6 mpg.

As far as wear and tear due to oil failure, I have to dispute that as well. Although I hate to admit it, I sometimes stretch the oil change interval...a lot...with no noticeable affects so far other then having to add a quart every 5,000 miles. I use a good grade of oil but it's not synthetic.

For my car at least the stuff works really well.

Posted by: jakoszut at May 11, 2010 6:53 AM