« Let's Review | Main | Newsweek. Dead, Dead, Dead. But Pretending to Be "For Sale" »

May 6, 2010

"He didn’t care that I was a Malcolm X scholar. "

Reality intrudes on the dream:
"Ever committed to preserving the dignity of Black men in a world which constantly stereotypes them as violent savages, I viewed this writing as yet one more opportunity to fight "the man" on behalf of my brothers. That night, before I could finish the piece, I was held on a rooftop in Haiti and raped repeatedly by one of the very men who I had spent the bulk of my life advocating for.

It hurt. The experience was almost more than I could bear. I begged him to stop. Afraid he would kill me, I pleaded with him to honor my commitment to Haiti, to him as a brother in the mutual struggle for an end to our common oppression, but to no avail. He didn't care that I was a Malcolm X scholar. He told me to shut up, and then slapped me in the face. Overpowered, I gave up fighting halfway through the night. -- SpeakEasy HT: The Fourth Checkraise: Community-based reality

Posted by Vanderleun at May 6, 2010 10:56 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

One of the things that's pathetic and depraved about "Malcolm X scholarship" is that it's about the perception of a man who's been frozen in time by his murder. The Malcolm X who would have lived was changing his world view when he was killed at the behest of Elijah Muhammad and Louis ("Calypso Pete") Farrakhan. It's almost as if he was murdered for the express purpose of preserving the malignant, hateful version of him.

Posted by: Don Rodrigo at May 6, 2010 11:47 AM

How much should we feel for stupid young women who get themselves run over by bulldozers in defense of a depraved, terrorist-run society, or get beaten to death while trying to help smuggle in illegals, or gets raped in Haiti?

Posted by: Don Rodrigo at May 6, 2010 11:50 AM

Except if you read her article, she feels she deserved it. You have to wonder if racism is supposed to 'outrank' sexism in the PC world.

Posted by: ed in texas at May 6, 2010 1:23 PM

When I read the article, I got the feeling that she partly enjoyed it....I'm not so sure it was rape as much as consensual. Frankly, I wouldn't believe anything that comes out of blowhole. She seems one of those types who has white man daddy issues and becomes afro-centric.....like Obama's Mother....

Posted by: Blastineau at May 6, 2010 5:10 PM

I read this elsewhere. Poor woman. I hope she finds peace and justice. I also sympathize with those who believe she got what she worked for and believed in (but not wanted). There are some evils you should not wish on anyone no matter how stupid they are, however. And this is one of them.

Were she an Eldridge Cleaver scholar instead of a Malcolm X scholar, she would have expected to be raped: she's a symbol of white oppressors.

> beaten to death while trying to help smuggle in illegals

No links to the Chronicle stories? For the curious: Elisabeth Mandala.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 7, 2010 6:45 AM

The Stupid is strong in this one...

Posted by: waltj at May 8, 2010 8:27 AM

I read the article as well, and came away with the impression that our scholar now is suspicious of black men, but only because of the way they have historically been treated by white men. Really, nothing has changed.

I heard a lecture recently where a book title ENVY: A Theory of Social Behaviour, by Helmut Schoeck was discussed. It seems to me, much of western progressive liberalism is based upon his premise regarding envy, or more specifically the fear of envy. It is an interesting premise. Current liberalism functions from a position rooted in the fear that others do or might envy them in some way. It is therefore their goal in life to perform secular penance. Certainly, this sense of guilt/fear and penance comes through in the original blog posting of the newly notable Malcomb X scholar.

If the story is true, it was an unfortunate way for her to learn that the vast majority of us determine the outcome of our own lives. She who embraces the identity of a victim, unfortunately becomes a victim.

Posted by: Eric at May 9, 2010 2:43 PM

I don't care if she's a Malcolm X Scholar either, she's one dumb a##.

Posted by: MWTexas at May 10, 2010 8:43 AM