The Color Stupid

America has showered every treasure on Alice Walker - fame, riches, opportunity without ceiling - and she spits on America at every turn.

I came across a note in Eric Hoffer's 1970s diary the other day to the effect that the intellectual/teacher class pines for the middle ages when rigid heirarchies held sway, where their authority was recognized and revered. As opposed to a modern-day, bare-knuckled America which gets along just fine without intellectuals of Walker's ilk. Writers/intellectual/teachers must be driven to madness in contemporary America - a society, for better or worse, that barely notices them...

Posted by Das at April 2, 2008 12:00 PM

Excellent observation. I'm updating the illustration accordingly.

Posted by vanderleun at April 2, 2008 2:34 PM

No doubt the Neapolitan Ms. Walker would be gratified if Hillary took her advice and started referring to herself as a "white woman."

Then again, maybe not.

Posted by neoneocon at April 2, 2008 2:53 PM

But enough of these slabs of pap, Ms. Walker.

Above clarity with the written word, I have to admire grace. Slabs of pap. Great metaphor.

I can almost hear the sickening lazy slapping sound as one weighty lardish slab is plunked down on the other.

Posted by Morgan K Freeberg at April 2, 2008 3:08 PM

Sorry, folks, but none of your comments have legitimacy because you're all Whites and Jews!

I will now go flagellate myself with a rolled up Stars & Bars in a futile attempt to expiate my own inherited guilt.

Posted by Roderick Reilly at April 2, 2008 3:21 PM

Well done, VDL. Your writing today is the equal of the RDH 'Pieta of Poverty' from yesterday. Keyboards everywhere are taking a beating this week.

Posted by dr kill at April 2, 2008 6:16 PM

There is way too much sound and fury here.

Posted by montag at April 3, 2008 2:49 AM

One can assume Ms Walker never read Animal Farm...

Posted by Pappy at April 3, 2008 6:48 AM

I'm seeking to understand the neural circuits that give rise to your perception of reality.

It's still more of a description, but Alice made me think of the "Perfectly Bigoted Solopsist".

More importantly, that was sure a great take down and apart, Mr. Vanderleun. It was a dirty job done beautifully.

Posted by J. Peden at April 3, 2008 7:24 PM