« "The lie in the black heart of democracy is that we can overcome Caesar by electing another Caesar." | Main | Breaking! »

May 26, 2014

We were creating a monster

— the Boomers who came behind us and thought we were cool because we were the first to protest,
the first to rock till we dropped, the first to smoke dope, the first to drop acid, the first to… well, never mind. We weren’t the first to do anything, really. We we were just the first popularizers, the first to infiltrate the American mind in such a profound way that the wrong people became the heroes. After us, patriotism was out, ROTC was out, America the Beautiful was out. Now we have a country of Barack Obama and veterans who are wait-listed for medical care and a foreign policy — not to mention a world — in shambles because this once great land leads from behind, if at all. Sorry. I was just a kid. I didn’t know what I was doing.
Roger L. Simon -- Blame Me for Everything on Memorial Day
FATHER-FORGIVE-THEM.jpg

Posted by gerardvanderleun at May 26, 2014 11:50 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

My greater issue is how the boomers continue to soothe their consciences by punishing my generation and beyond for the sins of generations long dead.

Affirmative Action hit my generation. Left leaning educators landed on us and our kids. Increasing costs for entitlements and back door reparations are fleecing those of us trying mightily to survive, much less plan for our own retirements and our children's educations.

For all the bleating about fairness and privilege, it would be nice if the boomers would start taking something out if their own wallets for a change.

Posted by: Dan at May 26, 2014 4:49 PM

I am a Boomer, born 1946 and came of age during the Fabulous Sixties. I and many like me sacrificed our youth to keep the world free for democracy. We willingly explored Space, The Last Frontier, and expanded the limits of personal awareness such that things like latex paint and Velcro came into being. We helped that preacher guy having his dream, where everybody Black White and other could march together for freedom. We set the stage for The Gipper to tear down that wall by standing up to Cuban missiles. We facilitated the Beatles on their move toward knighthood. The Age of Aquarius began on our watch and continues to flourish as we speak. we taught Blacks how to renovate their neighborhoods in large urban areas such as Watts, Detroit, Philadelphia, Harlem, &c. We made Detroit the Motor Capitol of the World. We pioneered stereophonic sound and color TV. We caused many to turn on, tune in, and drop out. Our nation wouldn't be where she is without folks like us. There's a lot of people alive today that wouldn't be here without our cohabitation. In return for all the sacrifices all we ask is that the current and future generations keep working and paying into Social Security. It is our only source of income outside of reverse-mortgaging our homes and selling our cabins and cashing in all our 401Ks and spending our estates down to tax-free levels. We are not responsible and we are entitled.

Posted by: chasmatic at May 26, 2014 5:49 PM

You are not entitled to my future or that of my kids. You were not saddled with the penance for the racism of your parents as we are for that of our grandparents. You ask for far more than to keep working, you are asking us to work to support people that wont because you feel guilty about how their grandparents were treated, to take on debt so your lack of planning doesnt leave you destitute. Excuse me if I dont show proper deference to your generation's sacrificial squandering of the peace and prosperity your parents made possible.

Posted by: Dan at May 26, 2014 6:14 PM

I'm about 8 years behind chasmatic and I'll suggest you choose the gray route to the black market if you think you have value.

If not, continue down the losers path.

You're in charge of the only life you'll ever own and you better step right up and wring it for all you're worth.

If you don't you must blame yourself first.

Figure it out.

Posted by: ghostsniper at May 26, 2014 6:48 PM

Most of the people I know are doing what you suggest, putting ourselves and our families in jeopardy to fund your conscience. You guys wrung out your life and are surprised we're pissed about you wringing out ours. Again, it wouldnt bother me at all if you would keep your hands in your own pockets so we could build something of our own, but naught short of revolution will get you to stop blaming the last guy and punishing those who follow.

Posted by: Dan at May 26, 2014 7:23 PM

In this case, sorry doesn't cut it.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor at May 27, 2014 8:45 AM

Dan is not the problem, Dan is the solution. But he by no means represents any generation I know of. The younger generations have become remarkably obedient and conformist unto their ruination, even most of the best of them. I have no idea who Dan is.

Posted by: james wilson at May 27, 2014 9:26 AM

James, I blush at your comment, and if I ever go back to blogging, I will quote you with attribution.

Posted by: dan at May 27, 2014 10:22 AM

Boomers as scapegoats. I don't think so. Boomers walked into a mess of trouble same as any other generation. Where boomers failed is how they handled those problems and how many new problems they added to the cart.

Also, credit where credit is due: if boomers are to blame for the problems then they must be acknowledged for the positive contributions. Start with Bill Gates and Steve Jobs & Steve Wozniak. A lot of tech including the software that allows me to fling electrons upon the page like this. Add all the military that did what they could, keep us safe. There's more ...

Posted by: chasmatic at May 27, 2014 12:06 PM

We're all the solution if we understand the entire problem...and it started long ago. Maybe we all need a refresher. Youtube video by Bill Lind on Control of thought and speech. Political Correctness has been killing us for decades, now try to understand it.

Posted by: indyjonesouthere at May 27, 2014 12:51 PM

@Dan, you failed to grasp what I wrote, based on your own reply.

I have never stolen anything nor have I delegated others to steal for me.

You better devote more time to figuring it out than you do blaming others, for your own good. Or not, your choice.

Play their game, you lose.
Play your game, you win.

Posted by: ghostsniper at May 27, 2014 7:50 PM

Political conflicts are merely surface manifestations. If conflicts arise you may be sure that certain powers intend to keep the conflicts under operation since they hope to profit from the situation. To concern yourself with surface political conflicts is to make the mistake of the bull in the ring, you are charging the cloth. That is what politics is for, to teach you the cloth. Just as the bullfighter teaches the bull, teaches him to follow, obey the cloth. — W. S. Burroughs

Posted by: chasmatic at May 27, 2014 7:50 PM

Ghost - I did misunderstand, my apologies. I dont blame others for my situation as it is, but I will not stop pointing out how people who claim entitlement are just reaching further into my wallet and stealing from my future. I will not stand idly by and accept what is clearly wrong, no matter the fact that it will make me very clearly an enemy of the state/statists. To do so would be both cowardly and complicit.

I walk the grey road now not through theft, but by finding the still remaining places in the net that allow me to keep what I produce.It is only a progressive that would consider that theft, which I dont believe you are, but the very real possibility exists that someday even this small piece of independence will be outlawed to ensure that the entitled get their cut of my sweat.

Chas: you claim credit for the work of people 'in your generation' and entitlement to the assets of future generations. How much more clear can it be that it is you keeping the conflict alive?

All I am asking is for your generation to acknowledge (as many of your compatriots do) that the leeches among you are eating the seed corn of those that follow, and if you believe that an injustice, demand that it stop. Or claim entitlement to credit for achievements that are not yours and the benefits of work you are not doing. Only you can decide which side to stand.

That will not end well for anyone, and I fear for those who espose the views you do, as you are creating enmity among those whom you will depend if you live to see the inevitable bill coming due.

Final question:
The Emmanuel brothers and others behind Obama have made it clear that their plan is to cut off those who are beyond their useful life. Do you really believe that demanding your entitlements will fly when it is the enemies of Obama upon whom your survival will depend?

Posted by: Dan at May 29, 2014 4:49 AM