« Obama's Perverts Could Have Just Bought Health Insurance for the Drooling Dimwits Among Us and Have Had Millions Left Over | Main | The moderates can’t reasonably claim to be representing Islam, because the faith has no truly moderate wing. »

May 12, 2014

We no longer live in an Apple world.

Apple dominated music because of the seamless interface of the iPod and iTunes, with the iTunes Store the glue holding it all together.
Apple no longer has a market monopoly, and the company is too stupid to strive for this. End game with the iPhone is death (or a niche product with declining software, which IS death). We’ve seen this movie a zillion times before, most famously with the Macintosh. Apple triumphed in this century by dominating, first with the iPod, then with the iPhone and then with the iPad. As that dominance erodes, you come up with a new dominant product, one that hopefully ties all your others together, so far Tim Cook has failed to do this.
Lefsetz Letter

Posted by gerardvanderleun at May 12, 2014 8:09 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

I have been using an Android tablet for a couple of years now. Last month, I won an iPad. The first time I plugged it in and iTunes started bossing me around like a nun with a ruler I felt like a guy who reconciled with an ex-wife and suddenly remembered why we broke up in the first place.

Posted by: Mumblix Grumph at May 12, 2014 9:17 PM

Steve Jobs had a unique gift for seeing what people would perceive as cool, then overcharging for it. Without that gift, Apple's stuff is just expensive toys that aren't quite as good as its competitors.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor at May 12, 2014 10:07 PM

Apple are nothing but kids toys sold using Burroughs' monopoly of junk strategy:

1-Never give anything away for nothing;
2-Never give more than you have to give; (always catch the buyer hungry and always make him wait)
3-Always take everything back if you possibly can;

I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with an Apple product. So there.

Posted by: chasmatic at May 13, 2014 2:10 AM

I'VE GOT IT!

Apple Sunglasses... Wifi, music, political commands from our dear leader...

Posted by: ed in texas at May 13, 2014 5:09 AM

"...one that hopefully ties all your others together,..."
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Those "affordable" Chinese made strings of lights seemed like a good idea. Right up 'til "If ONE goes out, they ALL go out."
ALL your eggs in one basket?
"That one line of malicious "code" in your Banking app has shut down your carbon based heat/hot water, Lien-provision bearing home "security" system, and now your refrigerator is telling your grocer, AND your gub'mint appointed "health care professional" that you aren't eating enough "fresh" GMO vegetables from the approved sources.

Posted by: CaptDMO at May 13, 2014 6:36 AM

I told the apple guru I was in the market for a smartphone and he told me to get anything by an i product. He himself abandoned all i products a year ago and suggested a an android might be a better choice and spotlighted a Samsung product, which I purchased. I basically use it like I have all the other cells I've owned since 1995 - hardly at all and only when necessary. IOW, the novelty of the teeny screen wore off after about 15 mins.

Why in the world would I want to stand in the checkout line at Walmart with smartphone capturing my attention and oblivious to situational awareness?

When the gunfire starts my weapon will already be hot.

Posted by: ghostsniper at May 13, 2014 7:03 AM

Out of curiosity, I bought a used G3 clamshell laptop about 10 years ago, put a 60gb drive in it, loaded it to boot OS9, OSX Jaguar and Ubuntu, scissored in a wireless card, downloaded some stuff and otherwise played around with it for an hour or two, then put it in a box where it's been ever since. It was no different than fooling around with a Windows laptop. I hear Apple is gluing it's stuff together now so you can't do anything with it without going to a lot of trouble.

Posted by: BillH at May 13, 2014 7:22 AM

Hey Bill: think of how many weapons and ammo that could have purchased. Canned foods, medical supplies, bibles, y'know, essential stuff. When the lights go out and the sats go down you'd be all set.

I am ready to ditch my android and vehicle OBC and anything else that carries signal both ways.

Posted by: chasmatic at May 13, 2014 8:50 AM

I am being menaced by the iphone suck for the first time. Won't be long before I have a note.

Posted by: sTevo at May 13, 2014 10:53 AM