« "Well, now, you listen to me, you young whippersnapper...." | Main | Tesla Posts $50 Million Loss; Toyota Withdraws Support »

May 17, 2014

Dear Class of 2014: Thanks for Not Disinviting Me

There’s no need for the ritual give and take of serious argument when, in your early 20s, you already know the answers to all questions.
How marvelous it must be to realize at so tender an age that you will never, ever change your mind, because you will never, ever encounter disagreement! How I wish I’d had your confidence and fortitude. I could have spared myself many hours of patient reflection and intellectual struggle over the great issues of the day.
- Bloomberg View

Posted by gerardvanderleun at May 17, 2014 6:52 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

Isn't it marvelous that with all that wisdom, all those skills, the experience of your twenty something years, you can't get a fucking job doing more than flipping burgers.

It must be privilege and that's the one course you didn't take.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck at May 17, 2014 6:58 AM

Oh goody.
My (private) HS graduating class of 16 afforded EACH of us to speak at graduation.
MY "theme" was I spent four years gaining all kinds of accolades recognizing how "smart" I was. All I have to show for it is the epiphany that I'm astonishingly ignorant.
I didn't make it to cap, gown, and "credentials",through (two) colleges worth.
Idiot-savant, or Dunning-Kruger? The jury's still out.
"The more you know...",and all that.

Posted by: CaptDMO at May 17, 2014 7:04 AM

"You’re f*cked."

-- Robert Reich, former Secretary of Labor,
to Class of 2012

Posted by: Saturday Anon at May 17, 2014 7:27 AM

No sense of self. No self-responsibility. "Lost and by the wind grieved, ..."

I was not born for comfort,
I was not born to be a bore.
I was born for reasons still unknown,
Perhaps to be unique, to seek and soar.

Posted by: Howard Nelson at May 17, 2014 7:42 AM

I can't really laugh. I knew everything when I was in my early 20's too.

I've gotten lots stupider since then.

Posted by: Joel at May 17, 2014 7:49 AM

Great speech, but yeah this speaker is up against people who are graduating confident that they know better than everyone else. Yes its utterly irrational and infantile, but every single college student gets this disease.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor at May 17, 2014 9:41 AM

Hate to say it, but sarcasm is wasted on some people.

So many "useful idiots" around (more coming) that we'll be stacking them like cordwood pretty soon.

Posted by: John at May 17, 2014 9:55 AM

The last two generations are the most conformist in modern American History, and they are conforming for 60's radicals. As Burke said, show me the opinions of your young people and I will foretell your future. Alinski wins.

Posted by: james wilson at May 17, 2014 10:32 AM

But he slanders medieval religion, which was far from absolutist and was filled for centuries with contentious arguments.

Posted by: Donald Sensing at May 17, 2014 2:48 PM

Stephen carter: "In my day, the college campus was a place that celebrated the diversity of ideas."

Today, university = lack of diversity.

Posted by: Jimmy J. at May 17, 2014 8:23 PM

Dear younger me:

As your middle-aged self I would like to say this to you - pay attention, please.

I wish now I was as certain about anything as I was as certain about everything.

Ponder that for a moment or five. And if you do, you will begin to understand.

Yours,
Middle-aged Me

Posted by: Mikey NTH at May 17, 2014 10:20 PM

@ james wilson, Alinsky hasn't won. In fact the educated fools are finding out that all that crap isn't true, doesn't work and they can't find work.

Obama made those same promises. Now they find they're stuck on stupid.

Posted by: Vermont Woodchuck at May 18, 2014 5:03 AM

Dear young people: work and earn much money, pay it into Social Security for me. Better yet, mail it to me personally. If Soupy Sales can do it so can I.
Copy that Rob?