« Lost in the Ozone Again | Main | The Amazingly Vapid and Vastly Premature Ted Cruz to the Future™ - Comic Coloring Activity Book! »

March 24, 2014

New York loves an easy dollar. That old slogan “I Love New York” was just part of a long con.

It took ten years before the Greeks and the Bangladeshis in my neighborhood stopped sneering

when I spent my money in their crappy corner groceries and made eye contact with me. But once I had grudgingly earned their respect, you know what? They turned out to be wise, jolly, lovable scamps who taught me to love life to its fullest, while speaking broken English. That’s a lie, of course. They were all assholes. Just cranky, angry people. - - New York Doesn’t Love You

Posted by gerardvanderleun at March 24, 2014 11:33 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

LA is universally despised by the rest of the country? Like New York isn't?

Posted by: Rich Fader at March 24, 2014 1:53 PM

I think it depends on where in the country you are. If you're within commuting distance of New York, you don't despise it, becuase you work there, or you work in one the edge cities surrounding it.

Which probably includes Philadelphia and Boston when you come right down to it.

Despise it? Gotta be careful about that. Cities are civilization, as nasty as they can be. Because that's where the people are.

Posted by: Eric Blair at March 24, 2014 5:05 PM

They may be civilization but they ain't civilized.

Posted by: ghostsniper at March 24, 2014 6:10 PM

YMMV.

Posted by: Eric Blair at March 24, 2014 7:24 PM

Eric: I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. Cities are not necessarily civilized nor are they representative of civilization. The only dynamic that large urban areas manifest is population density. Think: beehive.

All the large urban areas e.g. New York, Chicago, LA, Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit are easily identified by the high crime rates, high welfare rolls, high taxes, high proportion of Democrat low information voters. So a comparison based on quality of life would have cities falling short of towns and rural areas.

Here's one to bend your mind around: if we lost all the major population cities, an arbitrary line at, oh, one million, maybe two million population, if we lost all of 'em our country would survive quite well, thank you. If we lost all the small towns, rural areas and whatnot so condescendingly referred to as "Flyover Country", if we lost all that the cities would not survive.

Don't most of the Doomsday scenarios have the urban dwellers quickly imploding and feeding on one another until they start venturing out into the countryside? I never see one that suggests the opposite, that when the lights go out and the economy tanks the country folk flock to the cities. oh no.

"They may be civilization but they ain't civilized."
ghost: they ain't neither one.

Posted by: chasmatic at March 24, 2014 9:05 PM

The large metro areas are where the cotton pickers moved to and started breeding like rabbits, when cotton died in the deep south.

Posted by: BillH at March 25, 2014 7:23 AM

BillH: too bad they left whatever work ethic they had behind.

Funny (not really) how none of the migrants, immigrants, illegal aliens, shnooks, crooks, grifters and cons never ever move to small/medium towns in flyover country.

Out here where I live it is pretty clear: you don't work, you don't eat; you wanna dance you gotta pay the piper; you do the crime you do the time (or other punitive measure); you work harder than the next guy you get paid more. The list is long but simple. Probably even the childs not left behind could muddle through it.

Advanced involvement will require interest in the local schools, churches, any fraternal organizations, bake sales, fund-raiser carwashes, being able to wave at people you actually know their names. Saluting the flag (if you have to ask which one you better go back to the beehive).

I'm glad they don't come out here.

Posted by: chasmatic at March 25, 2014 9:39 AM

That's right chas, if they come out here we'll work em like rented mules, and pay em a fair dollar for their effort. If they whine they'll be ignored, if they persist they'll get a boot on the ass. They can quickly assimilate or they can quickly leave or if they insist they can be quickly ostracized, then banished. They say there are only 8 minorities in the whole county of 15,000 souls but I have only seen 1 in the 8 years we've lived here. I guess they mind their own business like everyone should.

When we first moved here a potential politician from the big city was standing on the town square with a microphone talking about how, if elected, he was gonna do this and that and about 5 minutes into it the crowd stormed him and chased him down the street to his car where he locked himself inside. Now THAT's the way to treat those poisonous vermins.

Don't "give" me anything, I want to "earn" everything I own. That way no one can come back and ask for payback for their favors. fukem ded

Posted by: ghostsniper at March 25, 2014 12:18 PM

Chas: What I'm saying is that all civilization comes out of cities. Look at history. Back to the beginning. Ur. Sumer. Babylon. Athens. Alexandria. Rome. Constantinople. London. Paris. Nuremburg. Milan. Boston. New York. Philadelphia. The list goes on and on.

You want quality of life? I took a train to see Shakespeare performed live last weekend. Had a good meal afterwards in a Greek restaurant. Wonderful lamb chops. On my lunch hour yesterday I strolled into the Pennsylvania academy of Fine Arts and took in the view. There's a clever juxtaposition of Gilbert Stuart's portrait of George Washington and Allan Ramsay's portrait of George III that has to be seen to be appreciated.

The Christmas concert given by Anonymous 4 was like hearing angels sing.

Beehive? Hardly. Even the densest population densities in the US today weren't what they were in the 1890's when there were 200 million less people in the country.

Now Phliadelphia is governed by a pack of Democrats, and they're generally fools, but so are the Republicans who can't manage to come out of their country clubs to make the case on why it might be better to create a business rather than sit and wait for hand outs.

Crime? Poor black people victimizing poor black people. In poor black neighborhoods that, once they have any sort of job and some money, blacks move the fuck out of because they don't want to live there either.

The Doomsday scenarios are entirely crap, and ain't none of them ever come close to being true. The fact of the matter is that you don't get the country without the cities or the cities without the country.

Posted by: Eric Blair at March 26, 2014 8:02 PM