February 28, 2013
Kate seems to have been selected for her role of princess because she was irreproachable
Diana was capable of transforming herself from galumphing schoolgirl to ice queen, from wraith to Amazon. Kate seems capable of going from perfect bride to perfect mother, with no messy deviation. -- Hilary Mantel -Royal Bodies
Low-Info at Birth: Maxine Waters: 'Over 170 Million Jobs Could Be Lost' Due To Sequestration
Maxine ['I'm drooling as fast as I can'] Waters is top Democrat on the House Financial Service Committee. -- The Decline And Fall Of The American Empire - Small Dead Animals
"Some sort of machine wheezes and sighs....Every voice is a murmur like a pew near a confessional. The son wonders if there's any noise of life in this place. No tinkle of a fork on a plate. No hammering of seconds on a clock. Music has never entered the building, and never will." Sippican Cottage: Winter Dreams The Same Dream Every Time
Life In the Fast Lane: It's Good to Be a Party Animal
Driving in North Korea and Speed Limit Regulations In North Korea, each lane has a different speed limit, regardless of what section of road you are on. The first lane is reserved for senior officials, so they can drive at whatever speed they want.
"There is no necessary correlation"between the economic conditions of Mediterranean Europe and their diet of olive oil, nuts and figs. Still, one does wonder whether the economic performance of these countries has something to do with their avoiding of red meat." -- Had Enough Therapy?
There is no such thing as ironic clothing. There are only people displaying tiresome jokes on their chests and backs.
It is like walking about with a portable laugh-track machine. “Here, citizen, at this point, is where you are expected to be delighted.” T-shirts are meant to be worn under actual shirts. -- Curses Foiled Again | William M. Briggs
" Liberals cannot forgive America."
They can not forgive themselves for being born American.
Liberals are unable to have empathy, tolerance, and compassion for America and Americans--this is self-deception. Liberals screamed about how we need a more compassionate, empathetic, and tolerant culture--until they became in charge. Now, hatred is the answer. Centralized authoritarian totalitarian government is the answer now. It used to be peace, love, and happiness. It used to be personal freedom and self-expression. Now, it is domination and control of the human race--starting with Americans. --The Liberal Bubble of Self-Deceit
Thursday's Stack's from the Back of a Cadillac
- Just Published: Images You Should Not Masturbate To
- SALVADOR DALI STAYS AT A HOUSE DESIGNED BY THOMAS JEFFERSON AND OWNED BY THE NOTORIOUS CARESSE CROSBY
- Physicists Probe The Deep Earth For A Fifth Fundamental Force
- 18 ordinary English words that Julius Caesar spoke
- There's an app for that! Analyze Your Urine With Your iPhone
- Why I Choose to Be
ChildLessChild Free: Readers Share Their Stories
- The Hanging : No antigovernment zealots. No murderous drug traffickers. No bloodthirsty backwoodsmen.
- 25 Ways to Use Sriracha
- Why you're feeling broke How glad I am that I'm too old to be starting a family.
- GOOD HOWLS | Interview with Chris Strachwitz, founder of Arhoolie Records.
- Typo Leads To Creation Of $179M Gorilla Warfare Program
February 27, 2013
North Korea As Seen Through Instagram
"I think it's time for you to seriously consider salad, you fat fuck." [BUMPED]
Chris Christie's RINO-licious day: He took his lovefest with the Obamas to a whole new level by snagging the coveted seat at the right hand of Queen Michelle during Sunday's Governor's Ball. Right after that he changed his tune on Obamacare, singing its praises.
Obama to Boner: The Video
"Taking their bullets first, one at a time."
Americans who support the Second Amendment will never be disarmed quietly by government edict
prior to meekly boarding a train to a socialist “reeducation” camp. They will not be taken at government gunpoint on a one-way forced march into a desert or a Zyklon-B “delousing shower,” simply because they foolishly agreed to be disarmed by their future oppressors in the dubious name of “public safety.” If American “progressives” truly intend to disarm the American people, they will have to do it the hard way, by taking their bullets first, one at a time. -- Bracken: Democide
Emergency Rice in Can Shunmai Shinkan Set
The Emergency Rice in Can Shunmai Shinkan can be kept for up to five years, meaning you can always enjoy the taste of fresh delicious Japanese rice whatever your predicament. Price? About ten bucks a can. -- Japan Trend Shop
Facing Mass Layoffs, Taliban Protest US Sequester
There is no denying the fact
that much of the country is only too willing to turn away from the bleak prospect of a seemingly unwinnable war against a huge number of ruthless enemies and instead begin lecturing their neighbors on how to raise their children and cook their meals. There is a measure of pettiness in all of us and now that pettiness has been elevated to a national security agenda. -- Sultan Knish: War on Everything but Islamic Terror
It's Captain Queeg. Hide the Strawberries!
Wednesday's Stack is Out of Whack
Police: Missing corn dog led to man killing roommate "It appears that somebody pilfered a corn dog from him," Putz said.
Florida v. Harris: What the Dog Knows : Dogs do not know probable cause, but they do know smells.
Man Leaves Scathing Trip Advisor Review After Hotel Stay Ruined By Furry Convention "I am not sure if you folks know what a Furry Rave is. "
February 26, 2013
Translation: "As a bullshitter, I know how challenging it can be to think of new bullshit...."
Michelle Obama Initiates Recipe Sharing Program “As a mom, I know how challenging it can be to think of new meal ideas that your kids will like and that will be good for them,” said First Lady Michelle Obama. [I am actually starting to feel sorry for those that eat this merde with a spoon.]
Comment of the Month
Losing a republic doesn't just put the people back where they were before they had one. -- Larsen in The Leopard - Maggie's Farm
If Pelosi doesn’t take home a lot of government money you might think she hasn’t earned it
Asked if she would take a pay cut due to the budget crisis she said: "I don't think we should do it; I think we should respect the work we do. I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded." -- Belmont Club » R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
CNN and NBC News: Is journalistic integrity dead?
Fox News is being branded by the left as a network of “right wing extremists.” Since when does daring to question the policies and motivations of government define extremism? It used to define journalism. -- Washington Timess
Hollywood is Dead
The dirty little secret is that Hollywood hardly exists anymore.
The industry is bigger than ever, but its bread and butter consists of 200 and 300 million dollar special effects festivals filmed in front of green screens and created in Photoshop and three-dimensional graphics programs. They star obscure or mildly famous actors and they do two-thirds of their business abroad. -- Sultan Knish:
"Why is it that Marxists, and Marxists alone, are protected against having their politics noted?"
If you note that Marxists are indeed Marxists it's supposedly a sort of Hate Crime up with which we must not put. -- Ace of Spades HQ
Mediterranean Diet Cuts Heart Disease Risk, Study Finds
"Is it the wine or the olive oil? My theory, it's the garlic! My approach is to only believe "studies show" when I like what they say." -- - Maggie's Farm
Stack Tuesday Between Monday and Wednesday
- Are Smart Gadgets Making Us Dumb? - WSJ.com
- Before Greed: Americans Didn’t Always Yearn for Riches
- An Embarrassment of Riches: Literature and the Ethics of Wealth in the Gilded Age
- Begin the Descend: I found my passport and bought a plane ticket back to the homeland, where the rocket’s red glare remains a mere figure of speech.
- The Whistler of Portland Is only Allowed to Whistle While Walking
- Latest Fake in China – Concrete-Filled Walnuts
- Hints of Lost Continent Found Beneath Indian Ocean
- Gettin' paid from aid: Nigerian president 'spent $1million of aid money meant for poverty-stricken country on star-studded festival featuring Beyoncé and Jay-Z'
- Shoegazing - I am not like most men, in that I have a very un-manlike obsession: I like buying shoes.
February 25, 2013
Jennifer Rubin declared that America’s “greatest national security threat is Iran.” Do conservatives really believe this?
Does Iran, a Shia island in a Sunni sea, a Persian-dominated land where half the population is non-Persian, a country whose major exports, once we get past fossil fuels, are pistachio nuts, carpets and caviar, really pose the greatest national security threat to the world’s greatest nation? - - Patrick J. Buchanan
The United States has lost the War in Afghanistan,
a minor matter that no news outlet can find the time to report on because they're too busy covering a breaking story about a Republican Senator taking a sip of a water.
Maybe a War on Water can be next. Was there a Styrofoam cup involved? It's time for one of those hard-hitting investigations that reminds us what a tragedy it will be when the last newspaper is strangled with the entrails of the last news network and the media's commitment to serious journalism is finally replaced by pictures of cats, wardrobe malfunctions and mutual accusations of racism. (And we won't even notice when it finally happens.) -- Sultan Knish: War on Everything but Islamic Terror
"If you’re the president, if you’re a member of Congress, if you are a TSA agent,the only reason why somebody should listen to what you say, instead of horsewhipping you out of town for your impertinence, is because you exercise power via the Constitution.
If the Constitution doesn't count, you don't have any legitimate power. You're a thief, a brigand, an officious busybody, somebody who should be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail for trying to exercise power you don't possess." -- Full Podcast: Glenn Reynolds on Politics, the Constitution, and Technology
"You can't leave well enough alone, can you?"
You get one of those cameras full of pixels and brimstone, and point it at yourself,
and upload that badboy to the Intertunnel. Pretty soon you get to poking around on the Interwebs after you watch your own video on YouTube. In no time at all, you're picking Lady Gaga's merkin hair out of the Intertunnel's intellectual shower drain.... -- Sippican Cottage: I've Located The Last Page Of The Intertunnel
A real leader leads by example....
Michelle Gives Oscar a Happy Ending
And the Oscar Goes to "Cross-Country Hand Job"
The Academy actually drafts First Lady Michelle Obama to help presentBest Picture from presumably the White House? So unnecessary and inappropriate to inject politics into the Oscars yet again. Hollywood will get pilloried by conservative pundits tomorrow for demanding this payoff for all the campaign donations it gave the President's reelection campaign. -- Oscars 2013 Live Commentary -- Nikki Finke's Live SnarkA happy ending to all from the First Beard.
Update: After suffering through the 10-hour (well, it seemed like it) show, there was the first lady. In a ball gown. With military service personnel in dress uniform behind her....
It is not enough that President Obama pops up at every sporting event in the nation. Now the first lady feels entitled, with military personnel as props, to intrude on other forms of entertaining (this time for the benefit of the Hollywood glitterati who so lavishly paid for her husband’s election). Why was Michelle Obama at the Oscars?
Every year I'm amazed at how it is that entertainment professionals
can't seem to find a way to put on a show that isn't reminiscent of the aversion therapy scene in A Clockwork Orange. With all the writing and directing talent on tap, not to mention the sheer star power packed into that room, you'd figure that something interesting would be going on. -- Big Lizards “Oscar the Grouch”
The Finish Line
Writers are lousy predictors of the future
because accurate prediction is not, despite what an occasional Jules Verne yarn or Analog story might predict, the point of telling a scientific romance. The point is to tell a myth using the setting and theme and moral concerns inherent in the scientific worldview. -- Future War | John C. Wright's Journal
"If fighting things that don't exist gets applause,
put your hands together for the War on Global Warming, which has recently been scaled down to Climate Change,
which means that any time the weather changes, it's probably due to people using the wrong kinds of light bulbs, driving the wrong kinds of cars and not paying enough attention to Al Gore's latest plan to fill up the pockets of his cheap oversized suit and those of his Wall Street buddies who care almost as much about the environment as they do about feminism, racism and wiping out entire economies. -- Sultan Knish: War on Everything but Islamic Terror
Monday's Stack Smackdown
- Three Reasons Conservatives are Losing the Battle for America
- The Linchpin Lie: How Global Collapse Will Be Sold To The Masses
- Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us
- Why Detroit Still Matters: Detroit once again grabbed victory through the misery of defeat. Numero uno on Forbes Most Miserable City in America.
- 25 Fallacies That Lead Us To Believe Weird Things
- Paperwork Against the People
- Five-Cent Redemption
- 7 Obscure, Remote and Super-Geeky Military Bases
- Word Around the Net: SIR HOLMES
- Word for the day: drey
- Five-Cent Redemption
February 24, 2013
Bed Bath & Beyond's Stack of Towels is a DAMNED LIE!
"Government came like a dust storm"
of fine choking powder, making its way into everything. You could no longer build a shed without a half-dozen permits and inspections. You couldn’t swim without a lifeguard, couldn’t use your canoe without Coast-Guard approved flotation devices and a card saying that you had taken an approved course in how to canoe. Cops proliferated with speed traps. The government began spying on email, requiring licenses and permits for everything, and deciding what could and could not be taught to one’s children, who one had to associate with, and what one could think about what or, more usually, whom. -- Fred On Everything
Postal Service starts a fashion line — Rain Heat & Snow
The Postal Service is just messing with us now, I think.
They know they’re running out of money, and they are taking the You Only Live Once approach to things, crossing out as many bucket-list items as possible. “I’ve always wanted to go to France,” Carl says. “Let’s sponsor a cycling team.” “Yeah,” the meeting says. “Hey, you know what’s on my bucket list? Fashion Week.” -- Washington PO
Sunday Stack Rack
- FYI: Could Hand Sanitizer Make You Catch On Fire? | Popular Science
- America's New Mandarins -- The paths to power and success are narrowing. So is the worldview of the powerful.
- Had Enough Therapy?: How to Deal with a Jackass
- 10 Lost Cities, Mythical Civilisations of the Ancient World | Urban Ghosts
- As Country Club Republicans Link Up With The Democratic Ruling Class, Millions Of Voters Are Orphaned - Forbes
- The Town that spent 25 Years Underwater #1 -- and -- Villa Epecuen: The Town That Was Submerged For 25 Years | Amusing Planet #2
- Unfit for Duty by Jack Dunphy Christopher Dorner was no “superhero,” and he’s certainly no martyr.
- FBI battling 'rash of sexting' among its employees - CNN.com
- Hilary Mantel on Royal Bodies "Marie Antoinette was a woman eaten alive by her frocks. She was transfixed by appearances, stigmatised by her fashion choices. "
- Mawson's Antarctic Trek: The Greatest Survival Story
February 23, 2013
$200K to Hear the Whore of Babble On
Humans differ little from dogs.
Consider a man working with an intelligence agency in Washington.
He may be a sterling fellow, good father, never kick the dog or molest the neighbor’s children, doesn’t shoplift, and in general is a good citizen. Tell him to do the satellite reconnaissance for the bombing of Baghdad and he will do it without a trace of conscience—even though he knows the bombing will kill thousands of innocent people. He may speak of duty, patriotism, and any of various sorts of routine high principle. No, it is just the psychology of the pack, us agin’ them. By nature we care about our fellow dogs, but not about other dogs. -- Fred On Everything
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the next president of the United State!
Who Says There's No Good News?
'WaPo' Woes: Advertising Plummets 12%, Circulation 8.6% Print advertising at The Washington Post slid 12 percent in the fourth quarter, to $67.5 million. Daily circulation at The Washington Post declined 8.6 percent, to an average of 471,800 for all of 2012, and Sunday circulation dropped 6.2 percent, to an average of 687,200.
The irony of trying to create a world without hate. It nurtures hatred.
“The real Indians get dirty, smell bad, use drugs, belch after they eat, covet and sometimes steal each other’s women, fornicate and make war.
They are normal human beings. This is reason enough for them to deserve care and attention.” Eakin then adds, “His critics, appalled by the first sentence, typically ignored the rest.” -- Anthropologists Gone Wild
Saturday's Stack Smokes Crack for a Living
- 7 Of The Creepiest Cold War Fallout Shelters | Popular Science
- Half of Detroit property owners don't pay taxes "Why pay taxes?" asked Fred Phillips, who owes more than $2,600 on his home on an east-side block where five owners paid 2011 taxes. "Why should I send them taxes when they aren't supplying services? It is sickening.…
- Is This Where The Secret JP Morgan London Gold Vault Is Located? | Zero Hedge
- Is Scientific Truth Always Beautiful? A mathematician says the quest for elegance leads too many researchers astray.
- Deranging America : Tells the Facts, Names the Names
- Memories May Be Beautiful and Yet How Recalling Memories Alters Them.
- Peer-Reviewed Survey Finds Majority Of Scientists Skeptical Of Global Warming Crisis - Forbes The survey results show geoscientists (also known as earth scientists) and engineers hold similar views as meteorologists.
- Scorecard: How Many Rights Have Americans REALLY Lost?
- 13 Foods You Should Make Yourself | Wise Bread Really. It's not that tough.
- We Couldn’t Stop Looking by Charles Simic Working at Aperture magazine in the "firetrap" years.
February 22, 2013
[Spit] Republicans [Spit]
They are the party of "me too". Or more accurately, "me next".
The complete emptiness of what has come to be known as the "stupid party's" opportunism was described by Newt Gingrich in his denunciation of Karl Rove recently. Gingrich argued that Republican political strategy simply amounted to "paying Rove do the lying while pretending to stand for anything" -- in other words, shut up and let Rove win it -- then take your turn at the swill trough and be generous. -- Belmont Club » I am the Eggman
I think The Karate Kid ruined the modern world. Accomplishing worthwhile things isn't just a little harder than people think; it's 10 or 20 times harder.
Like losing weight. You make yourself miserable for six months and find yourself down a whopping four pounds. Let yourself go at a single all-you-can-eat buffet and you've gained it all back.
Norwegians Not Implicated After All: "Shocking to no one.... "
It is always cliffs, ceilings and looming catastrophes with Barack Obama.
It is always government by freakout.... Mr. Obama has finally hit on his own version of national unity: Everyone get scared together. -- Peggy Noonan
Friday Stack Sack
- Underwater ice hockey is played upside-down underneath the ice of frozen lakes with a floating puck by teams of two divers in wet suits and flippers.
- DIY Weapons of the Syrian Rebels - In Focus - The Atlantic
- Total Destruction of the U.S.: An Interview with Larry Grathwohl
- 8 Things You Didn't Know About Copernicus | Popular Science
- Study: Infantry Battalions Commanded By Females More Likely To Stop For Directions, Arrive Late
- Ratings-Killer @Soledad_OBrien Fired by Obscure Third-Place Cable News Network : The Other McCain
- Students to e-textbooks: no thanks | ROUGH TYPE
- Huckberry | The Art Of Axe Shaving
- A Mighty Wind: As Texas appeals to California’s businesses, Golden State boosters can only make flatulence jokes.
- In My Lady’s Crowded Chamber “Even horrible people are tragic.”
- “Nothing Good Gets Away”: John Steinbeck Offers Love Advice in a Letter to His Son (1958) | Open Culture
February 21, 2013
Why would clouds form a hexagon on Saturn?
'You'd think there'd be a revolution in every single little town," Laurie Anderson says. "You can do what? You can arrest people for no reason? And put them away with no notification, and no trial? The best would be a military trial. Why did no one say a thing? Why didn't artists say anything?" -- Laurie Anderson: music for dogs and Obama | Music | The Guardian
America Elected A Color Not A Leader
Not only does Obama not lead but neither does he inspire people (especially young blacks) to be better.
Under Obama people are not motivated to be better; they are motivated to follow the path of generational failure.... I’m tired of having a color as president. I want a leader. And I’m determined to continue doing everything in my power to combat the race mongering, racial partisanship, and the racial politics of the color pretending to be leader of America. -- - The Daily Rant Mychal Massie's
"When leftist tree huggers and leftist bicycle riders collide."
Activists stand by sequoia tree to be cut down | Portland Activists stood beside a 12-story sequoia tree Thursday morning that the city of Portland planned to cut down to make way for a pedestrian and bicycle greenway.
“If I come here tomorrow morning and that tree isn't there, I’m going to cry," said Chris Fountain.
Coffee isn’t just black water.
Your Ad Here
The Walmart of weed opens in Seattle, retail sales coming next
"(It's) 5,200 square feet. It is very, very, very large and it's great. We can do things in that space that nobody else has really been able to do with medical marijuana in the city, or in the state,"
says Dante Jones, founder of Green Ambrosia.... "We have an energy drink, we have peanut butter and jelly, these cookies here are great for sleep they're great for pain as well," he says. "This blackberry crumble is for heavier dosage patients it's good for about eight hours of pain relief." -- - - MyNorthwest.com
Thursday's Stack Shack
- From the ever wonderful "Cabin Porn"
- Is Social Media Breeding Monsters? Oh, Hell, Yes! : The Other McCain
- Misguided Nostalgia for Our Paleo Pasts: The first thing you have to do to study 4,000-year-old DNA is take off your clothes.
- A Good Fit for Small Screens, Short Stories Are Selling
- Simulating the singularity
- The Technium: The Singularity Is Always Near: It is a traveling mirage that moves along with us, as life and the technium accelerate their evolution.
- Former Dutch Prison Transformed Into a Luxury Hotel
- “When Your Heart Stops Beating, You’ll Keep Tweeting” | The American Conservative
- Creating Hipsturbia in the Suburbs of New York
- davidthompson: All Pop Music Will Henceforth Be Terrible
- Free Sherlock! | Holmes belongs to the world
- One Cʘsmos: You Must Be One Before You Can Be Someone
- You’ll Notice They All Wear Shoes Or, “Mommy, What’s a Cock Ring?”
February 20, 2013
Wednesday's Stack Smackdown
"Perhaps historians of the far future will be divided over who bore the most responsibility for our sad era. The generation of elders who bequeathed a disaster to the young. Or the young for letting the old reprobates do it."
"No one is rooted anywhere, impermanence is universal, communication with many is by pidgin, if that, and the best that can be hoped for, but not necessarily expected, is mutual tolerance. " Zadie Smith's London by Theodore Dalrymple
February 19, 2013
"He and Michelle have an Arrangement." -- ahem
Because real, honest-to-goodness married folks that are in love with each other don't take "vacations" like that. Just doesn't happen.
What is it with these Democrats and their obvious "Arrangements"? Oh, I know, lust. Mostly the lust for power over others, but lust in all its sordid variety. Makes we wonder if Ann Barnhardt doesn't have it right, and God has withdrawn his Grace and gone all Old Testament on us, to teach us a lesson we won't soon forget. -- John A. Fleming in Side-Lines: "Apparently" There's Always Room for Reggie![Good thing the Secret Service is into "arrangements" for whores and sluts of all sorts, isn't it?]
The Greatness of Lawrence Auster
Greatness? I don't know that anyone can really get away with the word in 2013. What can greatness mean in a fourth-rate world? In a fourth-rate world, the second-rate look great. Worse, they feel great. After all, they stand head and shoulders above their own age. So why grow further? Can we say that a Lawrence Auster saw farther, because he stood on the toes of dwarves? --Unqualified Reservations
"Apparently" There's Always Room for Reggie!
AF1 wheels down Andrews at 7:45pm. POTUS came back to have a 10-minute off the record talk with pool at the end of the flight. Reggie Love departed AF1 soon after POTUS, apparently a guest for the weekend. -- Obama Talks Off Record With Press on Flight Home | The Weekly Standard
Surprise! The ObamaCare Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan is Kaput
Citing financial concerns, the Obama administration has begun quietly winding down one of the earliest programs created by the president's health care overhaul, a plan that helps people with medical problems who can't get private insurance. -- News from The Associated Press [So just die already!]
"No child left alive." Is Your Local Police Department Using Pictures of Pregnant Women and Children for Target Practice?
The "No More Hesitation" seriesfrom Law Enforcement Targets Inc. offers exactly that. For less than 99 cents per target, police can shoot at real-life images "designed to give officers the experience of dealing with deadly force shooting scenarios with subjects that are not the norm during training.". ... The company has landed $5.5 million worth of contracts with the federal government. -- --- Hit & Run : Reason.com
"The tyrants are expressions of their condition, not repressions of their moral will."Thinkers and politicians talk on of how to save 1 billion Muslims from themselves. Remove their tyrannies, some cry.
But what will they replace them with? More tyrannies. Governments reflect their peoples. If 1 billion Muslims really wanted to be free, they would be. The tyrants are expressions of their condition, not repressions of their moral will. The Muslim world does not differ on whether there should be tyranny, but on what manner of tyranny it should be. The Arab Spring has proven that. -- Sultan Knish: Saving 1 Billion People From ThemselvesHT Primordial Slack
Tuesday's Stack Is Back, Dressed in Black, Silver Buttons Up and Down Her Back
- Danger Dogs of Nepal - Neatorama
- Don't be beguiled by Orwell: using plain and clear language is not always a moral virtue Successful spin does not leave the effect of skilful persuasiveness; it creates the impression of unavoidable common sense.
- "In the case of a word like democracy, not only is there no agreed definition, but the attempt to make one is resisted from all sides." George Orwell, "Politics and the English Language," 1946
- A Hotel That Lets You Sleep Like a Homeless Person - Neatorama
- New History: How Anti-Judaism Is at the Heart of Western Culture – Tablet Magazine
- Cover Story: Mark Ulkrisen's drawings of movie stars : The New Yorker "There’s just this kind of look right now for male movie stars that says: strong chin, high cheek bones, stubble, light colored eyes, and hair that changes every other month.” [Translation: "gay"]
- Tiny Cars, Big Moment: the World’s Largest Microcar Auction
- A Kansas man who donated sperm to a lesbian couple is now being slapped with a request for child support from the state.
- 10 Ways Recycling Hurts the Environment: We’re all a team of individual Captain Planets, kicking pollution to the curb.
- America's Hardest-Working Know-It-All
- Geneticist Says Human Intelligence Is On The Decline - Blur Brain Modern technology has made it possible for the unfit to flourish and pass their deficiencies on to the next generation. While the intelligent practice family planning, the lowest segment of our society believes it a badge of honor to be a baby daddy and father a dozen or more children with five or six different women.
All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace
I'd like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammals and computers
live together in mutually
like pure water
touching clear sky.
I like to think
(right now, please!)
of a cybernetic forest
filled with pines and electronics
where deer stroll peacefully
as if they were flowers
with spinning blossoms.
I like to think
(it has to be!)
of a cybernetic ecology
where we are free of our labors
and joined back to nature,
returned to our mammal brothers and sisters,
and all watched over
by machines of loving grace.
Behold! The Venetian Poodle Moth!
(Sadly) This Is What 200 Calories Looks Like
"The president in his State of the Union damns the “billionaires with high-powered accountants,”
as a friendly Facebook pays no state or federal taxes, as a George Soros walks away with $1.2 billion in speculation profits (in three months, no less!) by betting against the Japanese yen,
and as a Jesse Jackson, Jr. gets caught stealing from a campaign fund to buy a $43,000 Rolex (was not a $1,000 one enough?).... A president who thunders to the nation that we must be on guard against the "well-off and well-connected" heads south to Palm Beach to meet his $1,000-an-hour golf pro.... -- Works and Days » Brave New World
February 18, 2013
You are advised to put the BBQ sauce in the fridge.
Why? Because the sauce seal has been broken, which is apparently something of such consequence it should be included in Revelations.
And the seal of the Authentic Kansas City Pit BBQ Sauce “Bold ‘n’ Mean” Slappin' Howg-Dawg Style shall be rent, and the malefactions shall beset it until there is a lamentation of the many, for the sauce has gone unto Evil.Never happens. People probably throw out BBQ Sauce for the same reason they dispose a bottle of taco sauce: Crusty Neck. -- LILEKS (James) The Bleat
"We're not trying to take your guns away, just have reasonable limits. It's a compromise."
And some people want reasonable limits on abortion, like waiting periods, gestational time limits, ultrasound, etc.
It's a reasonable response to an activist court decision, and reasonable restrictions on a right, for public benefit. Don't come whining about your right to murder babies, and I won't come to you whining about my right to shoot school kids. And no one is saying you can't ride the bus. You just have to sit where people think is reasonable. No one is saying women can't work. They just have to get paid what is reasonable for the work they do, allowing for the fact they're going to leave the workplace and raise a family. It's a compromise. -- Sacred Cow Slaughterhouse | The Post in Which I Piss Off EVERYBODY.
Monday's Stack of Slack is Back
- Transforming Pornography: Black Porn for Black Women by Sinnamon Love
- Products I Wish Existed I wish my phone really talked to me on my commute.
- Mutatis mutandis: East Asian Physical Traits Linked to 35,000-Year-Old Mutation
- Brothers Celebrate Lottery Win by Blowing Up House - Neatorama
- Scarfolk Council: Sing-A-Long I.R.A Telephone Bomb Threats (BBC cassette,1976)
- Joseph Mitchell's Ear for New York : "Except for the bottle, I always walked the straight and narrow; a family man, a good provider, never cut up, never did ugly, and I regret it."
- Laurie Anderson: music for dogs and Obama
- Is Dr. Oz Doing More Harm Than Good? : The New Yorker
- The Beau Street Hoard: counting ancient money
- The Left Loves Cop-Killers : The Other McCain Call it the Mumia Rule: All you have to do to become a hero to the Left is kill a cop.
- Maker's Mark Reverses Decision To Water Down Hootch
- If your sweetheart bought you a Tiffany engagement ring at Costco — he really didn’t.
- Who knew? Squids 'can fly 100 feet through the air'
- Sense of Events: What makes them think it's Jesus? This portrait is of . . . whom?
February 17, 2013
A Special Moment
Sunday Short Stack
- This bread ad nailed Valentines Day
- Woman marries man that killed her twin niwt reh dellik taht nam seirram namoW
- Inspirations: Who's Sending Out Fake Lesbian Wedding Announcements to Small Papers?
- Had Enough Therapy?: The Pursuit of Leisure “This is what life is all about”… or some such swill.
- Moob jobs becoming more popular: More Men And Boys Seek Breast Reductions
- Alligator Blood May Lead to Powerful New Antibiotics - Neatorama
- LARGE SIZE PAINTINGS: Julius KRONBERG Romeo and Juliet on the Balcony
- The Formula for Love - Neatorama
- The entire ironical, metrosexual, sensation-seeking, Progressivist world has devolved into a surreality of signifiers without signifieds, arrows pointing towards nothing; words without meaning, but treated as if the word was itself the meaning. An era where we're expected to sit down in a restaurant and eat the menu. -- Big Lizards“The Symbol Life”
- Intelligence Concludes North Africa Still ‘Pretty Much A Shithole’ | The Duffel Blog
- NYC Mayor Set To Announce Bans On Wearing Penny Loafers With No Socks, Brown M&Ms, Hai Karate After Shave, Members Only Jackets, And Anchovies | The Rumford Meteor
- Oregon man in possession of 13 million gallons of illicit rainwater sentenced to jail
- Polar bear sensation Knut immortalized in Berlin museum - PhotoBlog
February 16, 2013
Insect Life Monthly presents "Concubine to Your Alien Overlords" [Bumped]
The Floating World
Carnival Cruise Ship Hit With First Lawsuit Over 'Floating Hell' "Plaintiff was forced to subsist for days in a floating toilet, a floating Petri dish, a floating hell."
Mistaeks Wur Maid
But when the smoky haze -- caused by rapid fire of nearly 140 bullets in less than 30 seconds -- dissipated, it soon became clear that more than a dozen officers had been firing at one another across a middle school parking lot in East Cleveland. -- Cleveland police chase and shooting HT: Bill Jones
February 15, 2013
Saturday's Stack Works Hard for a Living
- The Beautiful Fine Art of Blooming Flowers - My Modern Metropolis
- Gangster Bankers: Too Big to Jail | Politics News | Rolling Stone
- Obama, Trayvon Martin, Christopher Dorner - Cobb "the Coalition of the Damned has been re-energized by the manifesto, rampage and suicide-by-cop of Christopher Dorner."
- What Nuclear Bombs Tell Us About Our Tendons
- NY Times Calls Obama Bicycle Photos Rugged Masculinity Gone Wild!
- Evening has come while I was glancing at the dawn - but does it float
- Don't Believe the Hype Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom
- Dash Cam Footage of a Meteor Streaking Across the Sky in Russia | Colossal
- What to Do When You Get Pulled Over by the Police
- It's Nice That : Clutch of great creatives imagine what commercial drones might look like in interesting new project
Hey there Lenin and Stalin dig the rich, rich, rich irony of it all!
Friday's Stack is loving and giving
- Media Are Strangely Quiet About Dorner's Lack Of Father - Investors.com
Dorner, Folk Hero of the Left Because nobody loves cop killers more than left-wingers do.
- Unarmed Woman Shot By Unlegged Man | The Rumford Meteor
- Fucking Up and Fucking Around: D.C. Ranked First in Extra-Marital Affairs – For Second Time in a Row | CNS News
- A Vibrator That Includes 16GB Of Storage | Incredible Things
- Had Enough Therapy?: The Breadwinner Wife's Lament
- The Gay Solution to Urban Blight Is there any known gay community characterized by slum conditions and economic misery? The presence of gays is the best urban economic fix known to man.
- Thousands of Merged Photos Display Sun's Surface - My Modern Metropolis
- Heroic Predator Drone Is First Recipient of Distinguished Warfare Medal | The Duffel Blog
- Stormfront for Liberals: The New Republic : The Other McCain
- Warren Ellis ｻ How To See The Future There are six people living in space right now. There are people printing prototypes of human organs, and people printing nanowire tissue that will bond with human flesh and the human electrical system.
- How Napoleon Chagnon Became Our Most Controversial Anthropologist - NYTimes.com The Yanomami, he declared, “live in a state of chronic warfare.”
- Missouri Democrats Introduce Legislation to Confiscate Firearms – Gives Gun Owners 90 Days to Turn in Weapons
- Your Black Republican Problem is Not My Problem - Cobb
February 14, 2013
Women Whose Tattoos Whisper Unto to All Men... "FLEE!" [Bumped]
Body Modification of the Day: The Game of Life Not exactly the sort of thing one would want to grow old with or beside. [UPDATE: Then there's always the ones who have to make their bodies over into some kind of demented "homage:"]
Thursday's Stack Has a Row to Hoe
- Hitler’s Last Surviving Food Taster: Ninety-five-year-old Margot Woelk
- Porn Legend Jenna Jameson Arrested After Hitting a Large Pole
- Six Ways TV Affects Your Brain and Sperm - The Daily Beast
- Team Dorner And Race | William M. Briggs If blacks do less well than whites on average, the problem must lie with the tests and not with those who took the tests.
- Chocolate High-Heels - Probably the Best Valentine's Day Gift for Women | Oddity Central - Collecting Oddities
- They looked like the concrescence of linguistic intentionality put through a kind of hyper-dimensional transform into three-dimensional space - but does it float
- “The adults told us we were the luckiest generation in history, that we should thank our lucky stars because we’d never know war.”
- PJ Lifestyle ｻ Everything You Know About the 1920s Is Wrong: They ate Abba-Zaba bars (taffy with a peanut butter center), Baby Ruths, Bit-O-Honeys, and maybe a Charleston Chew when climbing up the flagpole.
- Quska Sleeping Cafe for Women Opens in Tokyo | Oddity Central - Collecting Oddities
- SOMEONE WAS BONKERS ENOUGH TO BUY THE MOST STUPID BAG EVER DESIGNED. IT WAS “DEBUTED” AT NEW YORK FASHION WEEK. HERE IT IS.
February 13, 2013
“Pour encourager les autres” Burning Man in California. This time for real
"SLA 1974. MOVE 1985. Waco 1993. Dorner 2013. Next?" -- Lewis in comments
Gun Sales Obiter Dicta [Bumped]
Every weapon of military utility designed within the past 100 years was gone. This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war. -- - Cobb
"I’m now in the hospital for the second night.
It’s my first time staying in a hospital in my life—except for when I was born. It’s a pleasant, pleaceful place from which to embark on one’s last journey. I’ve been reciting Homer to my friend. -- -- Posted by Lawrence Auster at February 12, 2013 09:38 PM
Wednesday's Stack is a Sack o' Woe
- Katzenklavier: The Cat-Piano -- In order to raise the spirits of an Italian prince burdened by the cares of his position, a musician created for him a cat piano.
- Latest Dumb Idea: Hand Feeding Polar Bears - Blur Brain
- Hear Walt Whitman (Maybe) Reading the First Four Lines of His Poem, “America” (1890) | Open Culture
- Historic! 65.4 Million Guns Bought Since Obama Took Office, 91% More Than Bush's First-Term Total | CNS News
- Cool Tools – Incredible Secret Money Machine
- TYWKIWDBI ("Tai-Wiki-Widbee"): The "sin-eater" would take on by means of food and drink the sins of a household, often because of a recent death, thus absolving the soul.
- Michelle Obama's Mirror: Your Government Loves You. To Death.
- Bird Language | Watts Up With That? This is not the cowboy you are looking for.
- William S. Burroughs ｫ The Beat Patrol on The Mind Parasites
- Chris Dorner: A Mass Shooter Leftists Can Love
- A House Made Of Cotton Candy | Incredible Things
- Dorner the Individual - Cobb Dorner is no elite. He is just man who swore an oath to something that proved to be a dangerous lie.
February 12, 2013
Full Medal Jackets [Bumped]
Unlikely to surrender his rifle upon request
Little Black Dress – Chanel’s original
“Chanel’s Ford Dress” the frock that all the world will wear is model 817 of black crepe de chine. The bodice blouses slightly at the front and sides and has a tight bolero at the back. Especially chic is the arrangement of tiny tucks which cross in front. Imported by Saks.” --- - Retronaut
Tuesday's Stack Needs Its Space
- John Claridge’s Clowns (Act One) | Spitalfields Life
- TSA sued for $5 million after arresting man over peanut butter jar | Aftermath News
- Katy Perry Is The Only Two Things That Mattered At The Grammys. The Only Two Things. - The Superficial - Because You're Ugly
- The Top Ten Best Rock Songs Accompanied By A Gif Ever It's disturbing but..... it works.
- Sippican Cottage: How To Avoid Norwegian Wood Splinters
- Print - The Man Who Killed Osama bin Laden... Is Screwed - Esquire Why would it be otherwise?
- Reporter Gets Stranded In the Cold Test Driving Electric Car - Blur Brain
- Homeland Security OKs ‘Suspicionless’ seizure of electronic devices for any reason; Fourth-Amendment-Free Zone stretches 100 miles inland from border | Aftermath News
- ‘And the Grammy Award for Most Implausibly Enhanced Cleavage …’ : The Other McCain
- Obama Signs Executive Order Moving Center to the Left
- TYWKIWDBI ("Tai-Wiki-Widbee"): Thoughts about taxis and their drivers If your car is ever stolen, your first calls should be to every cab company in the city.
February 11, 2013
Sustainable Notes from the Cradle of Civilization
Grinding at the Grammys: Off Duty with Ellen de Generate
Lacking any internal automatic speed governors Ellen de Generes checks out Katy Perry's Boob window.
Monday's Stack is Fair of Typeface
- Editor Scolds Reporter For Waiting Until The Third Sentence To Blame Global Warming For A Snowstorm In New England In February | The Rumford Meteor
- Ace calls out progressives of pallor at The New Republic over ‘Party of White People’ cover | Twitchy
- TEOTWAWKI! STRIKES DEEP: Is The Earth Cooking Up Another Super Volcano? : NPR
- John Karlin, The Psychologist Who Designed the Telephone - Neatorama
- The Texas Growth Machine The data show that the Lone Star State’s prosperity is no mirage.
- Diamonds Are A Sperm's Best Friend - Neatorama
- Department of Awful Statistics: Income Inequality Edition - The Daily Beast
- Theo Spark: TOP TEN US MILITARY SLOGANS 4. Just point at what you want dead.
- Mission Statement - - One should always be drunk. Drunk with what? With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you please. But get drunk.
- Alien Abductions Blamed For Disappearing Workforce
February 10, 2013
The Stack that is born on the Sabbath Day Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.
- Dark Roasted Blend: DRB Feel-Good Issue #6 Images designed to propel you along your day with a smile on your face and a spring in your gait.
- A King of Reason - Cobb All this online scribbling is wonderful but there's no food in it.
- Sultan Knish: Live By the Sword, Die By the Drone But the question is whose sword is it?
- Sense of Events: U.S. to discontinue Saturday drone strikes
- Top Five Food Words and Phrases I’d Like to Ban from the Internet Unless you have made crystal meth-coated pork ribs, please stop saying that food is addictive or that it’s like crack.
- 20 Reasons America Is Becoming An Increasingly Nonfunctional Society 20) Race and ideology-based tribalism is becoming the norm.
- Future War | John C. Wright's Journal War is fundamental. A man’s views on war tell you the basic axioms of his view on life.
- The History Blog: Dense cluster of 35 pyramids found in Sudan
- (Pics) These Women Will Never Be Raped, Robbed Or Roofied
Amnesty Sì, Amnesty No
Whether conservatives like it or not, a great many people favor amnesty, and aren’t much concerned about immigration. These may, or may not, be deluded, foolish, or culturally suicidal. It doesn’t matter. --Fred On Everything
"Everybody with half a brain is coming to California." -- Gov. Jerry Brown
And everyone with less than half a brain is staying in California.
February 9, 2013
A, A, B, B, A
CNN Anchor Blames Asteroid on Global Warming
CNN anchor Deb Feyerick asked Saturday afternoon
“Talk about something else that’s falling from the sky and that is an asteroid. What’s coming our way? Is this an effect of, perhaps, of global warming or is this just some meteoric occasion?”
Saturday's Stack Works Hard for a Living
- Federal Court Rules that Failure to Castrate Bank Robber is Cruel and Unusual Punishment
- The New Age of Falsity - Victor Davis Hanson
- "It’s an awful field. Just torture. Awful. You write and you write, and you have to throw almost all of it away because it’s not any good. I would say just stop now."
- The Detroit Electric was mainly sold to women drivers and physicians who desired the dependable and immediate start without the physically demanding hand cranking.
- The Red Elephants of Kenya ~ The Ark In Space
- The Dorner Manifesto: Though it may be the work of a deranged mind, it is clearly the product of an intelligent one.
- neo-neocon All members of Congress look alike to me
- Possibly the best W. C. Fields skit ever - Maggie's Farm Selective Abortion To Create Master Race: Progressive Academic Pushes For Moral Enhancement | William M. Briggs
- We Never Have to Be Alone | Will Sheff There are moments -- in Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show: Live -- of the worst playing I have ever heard in my life.
- Yes, the Military Can and Should Target American Members of Al-Qaeda - By David French
- The Death of the Grown-Up:"He listened to each strike of the ax on his door, the assailant screamed, “Blood! Revenge!”
Stop Putting Out So Much, Ugly Sluts: Science Proves Undeniable Truth #24
Dr. McClintock’s research provides further scientific proof of a controversial hypothesis.
“Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society.” – Rush Limbaugh, Undeniable Truth of Life #24 [ : The Other McCain]
February 8, 2013
Stack O' Lee
- Women delivering newspapers in Torrance shot in manhunt for ex-cop - latimes.com "Remember folks, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away...and coming to kill you..."
- Piers Morgan Fan Goes On Shooting Rampage, Killing Three… | Weasel Zippers
- News Media Scrub Cop Murderer’s Manifesto of Pro-Obama, Hillary, MSNBC, CNN, Gay, and Anti-Gun Comments | SOOPERMEXICAN
- Chris Dorner's Online Manifesto About Slayings "The Violence of action will be HIGH. I am the reason TAC alert was established."
- neo-neocon The press and propaganda -- and evil "One of the most fundamental errors people make when judging evil is to think we understand it, when we don't."
Why Liberals Love Trains
Generations hence, when the river of time has worn this presidency’s importance to a small, smooth pebble in the stream of history, people will still marvel that its defining trait was a mania for high-speed rail projects. This disorder illuminates the progressive mind.... So why is America’s “win the future” administration so fixated on railroads, a technology that was the future two centuries ago? Because progressivism’s aim is the modification of (other people’s) behavior. -- George Will @ The Daily Beast
The Thirty Years War Redux [Bumped]
DHS Purchases 21.6 Million More Rounds of Ammunition An approximation of how many rounds of ammunition the DHS has now secured over the last 10 months stands at around 1.625 billion.
To put that in perspective, during the height of active battle operations in Iraq, US soldiers used 5.5 million rounds of ammunition a month. Extrapolating the figures, the DHS has purchased enough bullets over the last 10 months to wage a full scale war for almost 30 years.
Why are you afraid of the Constitution? [Bumped]
The answer, of course, is that the political class doesn't want citizens. It wants subjects. -- Crowd packs heat; Oak Harbor backs down.
February 7, 2013
Muslim MENSA Poster Boy
This is the iPad Pedestal Stand, a holder for not only a roll of toilet paper, but your iPad too.
Quite the combo! I’d even go as far as to say this combo could be described as a DOUBLE WHAMMY. --A… Toilet Paper Holder iPad Stand? | Incredible Things
The Doom That Came to Skowhegan
Impending Defcon Seven Blizzard Killstorm Of Deadly Doom Has Massachusetts Residents Considering Cannibalism Already, While One Skowhegan Man Is Considering Wearing A Long-Sleeve Shirt | The Rumford Meteor
Then, close to the hour of midnight, all the bronze gates of Skowhegan burst open and emptied forth a frenzied throng
that blackened the plain, so that all the visiting princes and travelers fled away in fright. For on the faces of this throng was writ a madness born of horror unendurable, and on their tongues were words so terrible that no hearer paused for proof. -- The Doom That Came to Skowhegan by H. P. Lovecraft
Who wouldn't want to live in Washington? It's a wonderful world, a place where every problem of life can be reduced to just two words.
Gun control. Immigration reform. Climate control. The deficit, which of course can be solved in two words: a "balanced approach." Things so hard haven't been so simple since Tinker Bell taught children to fly in "Peter Pan," also with two words—pixie dust. --Henninger: Obama's Colossal Politics - WSJ.com
Thursday's Split Stack
- Cool Tools – Fiskars Splitting Axe
- Simon Sez Sayonara But Not Good-Bye at Pajamas
- Hanson at Pajamas Media sez that "Leading From Behind" is Obama's way of leading out of his behind
- The mass roundup of toddlers and preteens wielding high capacity pointyfingers continues apace
- Ora non gli dava.... Listening for the Jabberwock
- The Worst Thing About "Birth of a Nation" Is How Good It Is : The New Yorker
- Sense of Events: Dumb anchorman statement of the day "But fear not, the day is young."
- Michelle Obama's Mirror: What Huxley Knew About Drones And When He Knew It
- A Clean Beaver Always Finds More Wood | Incredible Things
- Which finally solves the eternal female problem that comes about "When Tears of Shame Smell!"
- 100 days after Hurricane Sandy, the Jersey Shore slowly recovers
- The Disgusting Consequences of Plastic-Bag Bans
February 6, 2013
The United States consists of a great many substantial and hostile groups
Wall Street happily rapes the middle class and below with its subprime swindle,
enjoying federal acquiescence and perhaps participation. Washington reduces the schools to custodial centers to keep blacks happy, businessmen move jobs to China, and the arms industry impoverishes the nation for its private benefit. Other businessmen encourage illegal immigration to make a buck without the slightest thought for the public interest. -- Fred On Everything
Barney by Bush
"Laura and I are sad to announce that our Scottish Terrier, Barney, has passed away," Bush said.
"The little fellow had been suffering from lymphoma and after twelve and a half years of life, his body could not fight off the illness." -- The former president traded his pen for a paintbrush when he left the Oval Office. Bush released an oil painting he made of Barney on Friday. -- Barney, First Dog in White House of George W. Bush, dies of lymphoma - NY Daily News HT: Neo-Neo
The Rubio Con
If you read closely, you learn that illegal immigrants will actually be legalized immediately -- given "probationary legal status,"
allowing them to "live and work legally in the United States" (according to Politico). The only thing that's delayed, pending "stricter border enforcement," is the opening of a "path to citizenship." As if, once legalized, the 11 million are going to be unlegalized if enforcement measures are implemented with less than 100% efficacy. --| The Daily Caller
Patriotism, Jeep Sales Skyrocket After Super Bowl Ad
Oprah Winfrey declared victory in Afghanistan during an incredibly popular Super Bowl advertisement aired on Sunday.
Tearjerking scenes about missed events, sorrowful loved ones, and people in camouflage uniforms reminded the nation that apparently we're at war somewhere or something. --| The Duffel Blog
There hasn't been one Apple blockbuster since Steve died. Dare we consider the possibility that there never will be another? It's more than conceivable. -- Doc Searls Weblog
"While Rove and Reince fight for the wheel of the hearse, forgive me if I point out that it’s still full of dead ideas."
The DNC is hiring young activists and paying them a living wage to do nothing more than evangelize the Gospel of Obama. Even the churches of the Right would rather build bigger barns than support "missionaries" with a living wage, so how can we expect the GOP to ever invest in the next generation? I've watched them ignore schools, neighborhoods, and local businesses for 40 years. But they sure have had their hand out for my money.
Russia Rapidly Overtaking Japan as Most Insane Nation on Earth
Everything I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindregarten, including "Vozvrast." Translation: "Just kill yourselves now, children."
It is indeed difficult to conceive how men
who have entirely given up the habit of self-government
should succeed in making a proper choice of those by whom they are to be governed; and no one will ever believe that a liberal, wise, and energetic government can spring from the suffrages of a subservient people. -- "Democracy in America" De Tocqueville
February 5, 2013
How To: Excabulate Your Pondrefact
All the blogposts accusing the current president of being a secret Moslem Kenyan smoker are emitted through the red pixelpipes, the Twitter streams of pictures of the last president with a Hitler mustache are blasted through the blue tubes. It's all about the tubes, people. --Sippican Cottage: Elderly Blogposts Currently Being Assaulted By Spammers: Tech Tock With Sippican Cottage
Rack 'Em and Stack 'Em for Wednesday
- Spengler | Eat Less, Egypt's government tells its people
- How To: Excabulate Your Pondrefact
- 10 Reasons The U.S. Is No Longer The Land Of The Free
- The Militarization of U.S. Domestic Policing
- Baseball Recovered from a Civil War Battlefield - Neatorama
- Silk — Interactive generative art
- The Shape of a Life: Richard III's Twisted Bones : The New Yorker
- David Horowitz: How Republicans can win | Power Line
- Founding father of the green movement battles plans to erect wind turbine in his village
- Captain Capitalism: The Dowd Crowd If you don't know Maureen Dowd, don't worry. It just means you're not old.
- New Asteroid-Mining Company Aims to Spur Space Settlement | Space.com
- The 4 hardest computing problems on earth - FORTUNE
- The Inconvenient Truth About Polar Bears: ‘far more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago’ | Aftermath News
And the lotos rose, quietly, quietly,
From the smelter
The world is not so much in need of new thoughts as that when thought grows old and worn with usage it should, like current coin, be called in, and, from the mint of genius, reissued fresh and new. -- Alexander Smith (poet 1830-1867)
Okay , Okay, maybe gun control for 50% of the population after all.
I noticed he didn’t wear socks
– I guess he thought wearing socks would brand him as “bourgeois”.
I told him I thought the organization of an ant-heap was somewhat similar to his idea of a well-organized society. He answered me that “Yes, human beings should learn to behave like ants and bees”. I said, “But humans are not ants or bees”. He responded, “But that would be the best organization.” Plato would have loved him. -- .Thoughts on gold and humanity Hugo Salinas Price
Future Bestseller from the Past
The Harbingers of Tyranny
DHS buys 2 billion rounds of ammunition. Military drone flights within the US. FBI "checking" whether the president can assassinate Americans inside the US. Gunships over Miami. Police departments throughout the country are receiving tanks, humvees and drones. Details at Doug Ross @ Journal
The Values Economy
The values economy is how a society maintains its culture, investing its energy, money and structure
into maintaining a healthy culture that projects its values and makes its achievements possible. Like any other investments, there are bad investments and good investments. A society can invest in Bach or it can invest in Andy Warhol. It can invest in engineers or Transgender Guatemalan Poets 101. --- Sultan Knish
Funny, you don't look Jewish
Brooklyn, New York, July 2012. " Sometimes in Borough Park I'll be down the street and I'll see a guy with his son and the son will keep looking back at me. Eventually he'll ask his father, "Who is the guy behind us? Is he Jewish?" I always wonder what that parent says to his child. I tell my friends to try to educate their children so they know G-d created all kinds of people. One thing about the Jewish world, though - you might get stared at but once someone gets past you being different, you’re pretty much a part of the community." feature: The Black Orthodox // Wayne Lawrence - instituteartist.com
February 4, 2013
Whoopies Ron Paul Hatred Is About To Reach Critical Level
Mine too: "Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that “he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.” Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense" — Ron Paul (@RonPaul) February 4, 2013 ---- Blurbrain Ron Paul: Hey, if you can't be president be a bitter douchebag.
"The first fundamental change in the home-entertainment paradigm in decades."
An Internet firm like Netflix producing first-rate content takes us across a psychological line. If Netflix succeeds as a producer, other companies will follow and start taking market share. Maybe Amazon will go beyond its tentative investments and throw a hundred million at a different A-list series, or maybe Hulu will expand its ambitions for original content, or maybe the next great show will come from someone with a YouTube channel.
Sis for Prez: Janet Napolitano: A woman to watch for 2016
Dead Pol Blathering Dumb Washington Post Story Here I'd want her to run only so I could watch the entire country bury her political corpse in manure fifty feet deep. Hard as it may be to believe there's a limit to the shit even a confirmed Obamatron will eat.
What would be the best environment for a writer?
"To become a landlord in a brothel. In my opinion it's the perfect milieu for an artist to work in.
It gives him perfect economic freedom; he's free of fear and hunger; he has a roof over his head and nothing whatever to do except keep a few simple accounts and to go once every month and pay off the local police. The place is quiet during the morning hours, which is the best time of the day to work. There's enough social life in the evening, if he wishes to participate, to keep him from being bored; it gives him a certain standing in his society; he has nothing to do because the madam keeps the books; all the inmates of the house are females and would defer to him and call him “sir.” All the bootleggers in the neighborhood would call him “sir.” And he could call the police by their first names. -- Paris Review - The Art of Fiction No. 12, William Faulkner
Bonus Link: Alex Grant: Dress Like a Literary Great: William Faulkner
Rack 'Em and Stack 'Em for Monday
- Kansas City Confidential: Did This 1952 Noir Film Inspire Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs? | Open Culture
- Hangin’ on rekaB Street: The Stupefaction of the West | Augean Stables
- Why Things Fail: From Tires to Helicopter Blades, Everything Breaks Eventually
- My country tis of thee, cash on delivery
- Why I'm Canceling My Sports Illustrated Subscription
- Sense of Events: Last Night's Sex and Football Show The Second Coming can't arrive a moment too soon.
- Your Obligatory Lightworker-Fires-a-Gun Post
I am not going to waste my breath, time and energy trying to come up with a solution to today's rabbit hole politics.
We all know they are broken and I am out of the patching business. I am no longer working with duct tape, chicken wire, bubble gum and spit. Nor am I working with bulldozers, wrecking balls, dynamite and dump trucks. I'm not even on the board for urban renewal. I'm just building the next generation of buildings which will be immune to the kinds of failures I predict in the future for the unsustainable status quo. -- On The Proper Failure of America - Cobb
Phrase That Pays: "the stubborn refusal of the planet to warm"".... the decrease in estimated negative forcing (aerosols), combined with the stubborn refusal of the planet to warm as had been predicted over the last decade, all makes a high climate sensitivity increasingly untenable." -- Weaker Global Warming Seen in Study Promoted by Norway's Research Council - NYTimes.com [HT: SDA ]
This is the nightmare world of Big Data,
where the moment-by-moment behavior of human beings — analog resources —
is tracked by sensors and engineered by central authorities to create optimal statistical outcomes. We might dismiss it as a warped science fiction fantasy if it weren’t also the utopian dream of the Max Levchins of the world. They have lots of money and they smell even more.... -- Max Levchin’s dream | ROUGH TYPE
Billion Dollar Yogurt-American
At Chobani, the Turkish King of Greek Yogurt: Five years ago Chobani had almost no revenue. This year, the company will sell more than $1 billion worth of yogurt, says Ulukaya, who’s the sole owner..... Ulukaya grew up milking sheep at his family’s dairy in eastern Turkey.
Rise of the Militias
"We brought order back to a place where there had been chaos. We were able to do in 15 days what the government was not able to do in years." PhotoEssay: Taking the Law Into Their Own Hands [HT GaGator]
February 3, 2013
Beyond Pippi Longstocking
If you had to be reborn anywhere in the world as a person with average talents and income, you would want to be a Viking. -- The Nordic countries: The next supermodel | The Economist
Sunday Short Stack
- 11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. -- 1 Corinthians 13
- How High Can a Tiger Jump? - Neatorama
- The Big Three | Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and — wait for it— A.E. van Vogt. John C. Wright's Journal
- Tweet ping: See global tweeting in real time.
- Hangin’ on rekaB Street: The Stupefaction of the West | Augean Stables
- Fade to Light : One of the most terrifying aspects of Alzheimer's disease is that those afflicted can seldom tell us what it is like.
- The Green children of Woolpit .... some time in the 12th century
- Sultan Knish: The Three Types of People You'll Meet in Liberal Hell N.B. When the spontaneous punch in the nose left the society things hit the downward slope. No immediate consequences means assholes breed like lesbian rabbits.
- Nobody Asks, Soldier Still Tells About His New Boyfriend “The LT will not shut up about ‘Paolo’, his new Brazilian boyfriend.”
February 2, 2013
How Dumb is Chuck Hagel?
"It is very clear from the testimony that Sen. Hagel will not be bringing the potato salad to the next Mensa picnic." -- Hagel sinking
The New Gospel
"If you don't think there is a growing standard secular gospel unfolding, and haven't noticed the increased price to be paid for heresy, you haven't been paying attention." El Greco's Inquisitor @ AMERICAN DIGEST
Typos of the Liberal Mind
Rhodesia to Zimbabwe -- breadbasket of Africa to dustbowl: Zimbabwe Is Down to Its Last $217 - Global - The Atlantic Wire " The economy started to come apart at the seams in 2000, when President Robert Mugabe seized the land of over 4,000 white-owned farmers [sic]"
"Since it is Groundhog Day, here’s a replay from Phil, covering our first, second historic Inauguration of BHO:"
It shouldn't happen to a hog
Saturday Short Stack
- Sleeping with the fishes: Spawned in the USA: new fish named after Barack Obama Etheostoma Obama, is a relatively skinny orange and blue speckled fish topped by a brilliant fan-shaped fin, with bold orange stripes.
- Followed by an Obama grant: National Science Foundation: $400,000 for Guppy Study
- The obvious explanation: Mass Vanishing from Workforce Linked to Alien Abduction
- Department of Departed Skillz: Would-be carjackers foiled by mysteries of the stick shift
- Satan's Wheel: The sum of all the numbers on the roulette wheel (from 1 to 36) is 666 -- Roulette
- Getting out while the getting's good: U.S. Secret Service Director to Retire After 30 Years - Bloomberg Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said in a statement. “I am deeply grateful for his contributions.” While wiping off her chin.
- We were young at the start. MacDonald, the murderer; Murtagh, his nemesis; and me. Now we are old. And still the case won’t die. -- Final Vision by Joe McGinniss
Our beloved seniors.
February 1, 2013
Stack of Stuff for Friday
- UN Finally Admits It's The Sun Stupid * Blur Brain
- At Last, A Genuine Pic Of The President Shooting Skeet At Camp David - Blur Brain
- Living Without Laws: Slab City, USA - YouTube
- Grand Central Terminal Turns 100
- Why the Global Warming Agenda is Wrong
- Bullet to the Head and Stallone's Stardom
- Lance Armstrong is a liar, or at least was a liar, though the old motherly wisdom here probably stands: once, always.
- Michelle Obama's Mirror: With OJT Anyone can be a Secretary! Typing optional.
- Art and drones | things magazine
- 50 hours until home: Chinese couple join world's biggest migration - PhotoBlog
- Life of an inner city security guard
- Tree Ring Studies Confirm Global Cooling
- Door. Ass. Bang. Hillary Clinton bids final farewell on her last day as Secretary of State - PhotoBlog
The New Yorker, Yes, The New Yorker: Filling Up with Shit at an Alarming Rate
"One of the guns used to murder children and adults in Newtown, Connecticut, was an AR-15,
a semiautomatic rifle that’s similar to a weapon used in war by American troops. A weapon of war was turned on innocents at home. -- How the Ancient Greeks Viewed Weapons in The New Yorker by sub-moron Melissa Lake.
Ethnic Cleansing in Los Angeles
Attack on family in Compton latest incident in wave of anti-black violence - latimes.com A Latino gang is intimidating blacks into leaving the city that was once an African American enclave.
It's part of a violent trend seen in other parts of the L.A. area. Compton, with a population of about 97,000, was predominantly black for many years. It is now 65% Latino and 33% black, according to the 2010 U.S. census. But it's not only historically black areas that have been targeted. Federal authorities have alleged in several indictments in the last decade that the Mexican Mafia prison gang has ordered street gangs under its control to attack African Americans.It would seem that some Mexican-Americans are not exactly down with the concept of "diversity" after all. La Raza and all that, homes.
Swiss Family Russkie: Most Fascinating Story of the Month [bumped]
[Bumped because it is so amazing and because it's gone viral in the last couple of days.]
In 1978, Soviet geologists prospecting in the wilds of Siberia discovered a family of six, lost in the taiga. "What amazed him most of all," Peskov recorded, "was a transparent cellophane package. 'Lord, what have they thought up—it is glass, but it crumples!'"
Hemlines Made Simple
[Bumped by reader request for further study and analysis.]
Our Mystic Gave Us the Inside Scoop on 2013
Positive energy through February, but a strong possibility for war in March;
things get better through August, though there’s a chance of flooding; peace talks in September, but total economic breakdown in October; picking up the pieces in November only to be completely disappointed in December. -- | VICE
The Murderer's Honor
When a woman has power and a man doesn't, then the man has been dishonored. When a Christian has power and a Muslim doesn't, then the Muslim has been dishonored. There is only one answer for dishonor, death. Kill the one who has dishonored you so that you can feel powerful again. -- Sultan Knish: The Murderer's Honor
Obama's Jobs Council Shutting Down Thursday
Obama met with the council only a handful of times.
During the last meeting, in February 2012, the president and the council highlighted an engineering education initiative alongside school deans. -- - US News and World Report Comic strip via Hope n' Change Cartoons: Shear Madness
Active-Duty Drag Queens Find Home With Air Force Musical Ensemble
“A lot of us trying out this year have drag queen experience,” said Staff Sergeant Timothy Dreyer,
“and we are excited to finally bring this experience to the Air Force, the only place we can be so fabulously gay. Tops in Blue is so gay it makes Glee look like monster truck rally.” -- | The Duffel Blog