« The Mathemagics of Obamanomics | Main | The "It's On" Video is Now Off »

May 12, 2012

Superfun Rockband church™

To call a group of people who worship themselves and their capacity for self-reverential “entertainment” “Christian”
is becoming increasingly difficult when the objective evidence points to these suburban blights as being neo-paganism in every regard. Where is the altar? There isn’t one. Where is there a Cross? There are no crosses. When is any reference made to Christ’s sacrifice in propitiation and perfect atonement for the sins of the world, including the sins of the latte-sipping dolts sitting in their reclining, triple-cushioned theater-style seats? Where are there any references to personal sin? Where are there any references to objective Truth? There are none – there is only “your truth and my truth”, “How I FEEEEL”, and then BRING ON THE ROCK BAND! -- Ann Barnhardt

Posted by gerardvanderleun at May 12, 2012 9:07 AM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

With eleven more Ann Barnhardts this country could be rescued.

Posted by: Rocky at May 12, 2012 10:57 AM

They don't care about Christ, God, the Bible, sin, salvation, or even truth. They care about themselves.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor at May 12, 2012 11:12 AM

I left this sort of church when the communion hymn chosen on that Sunday was THIS:

Posted by: Jewel at May 12, 2012 11:55 AM

That's WorshipTainment!®

Posted by: B Lewis at May 12, 2012 1:29 PM

It ain't Mass if it isn't in Latin.

Posted by: leelu at May 12, 2012 3:28 PM

I also recommend Eastern Orthodoxy.

Posted by: ahem at May 12, 2012 4:03 PM

I used to pass a church near the freeway that had a big banner that exclaimed "JESUS ROCKS!".

Yes, Christ died for our sins because he's a righteous dude!

Posted by: Anonymous at May 12, 2012 6:16 PM

Well over ten years ago I saw bumperstickers on Bay Area freeways proclaiming "God is Awesome!"

Posted by: Rob De Witt at May 12, 2012 9:02 PM

No, Blewis, it's Worship for Your Edifitainment™

Posted by: Jewel at May 13, 2012 2:33 AM

In regards to Eastern Orthodoxy, I would recommend listening to Rachmaninov's Vespers. Now THAT's soul music.

Posted by: Jewel at May 13, 2012 2:34 AM

I recommend Taoism. I started in the Nam and never looked back.

WARNING: It contains very high levels of Ethics.

Posted by: Peccable at May 13, 2012 5:02 AM

I remember attending a liturgy at the chapel of my old Catholic high school. And the final part of the ceremony involved something that looked like it was straight out of "Sister Act" with the priest going down the center aisle clapping his hands.

At which point, I turned to an old high school chum and said, -- You know how there's a few eternal truths that can guide you thru this life like "Charlie Don't Surf" and "Muslims Don't Dig on Swine." Let me add one more "Catholics Don't Clap"

Posted by: Callmelennie at May 13, 2012 12:42 PM

To keep things in perspective---there was a time when Gregorian chants were considered a shocking breach of worship etiquette and protocol. 'Tis true that the "delivery system" for the Word has expanded through the centuries, but the message stays the same: Jesus Christ died so that we may be saved. Do you believe or not?

Posted by: Deborah at May 13, 2012 1:18 PM

Wonder how many of these churches Ann has been to...

As someone who gave up Catholicism for Lent on his 18th birthday, I can assure you that you can have all that same theology without the misery of a mass that perpetuates distance from God. Being saved by grace is, indeed, something to celebrate and not mourn.

Posted by: Daniel at May 14, 2012 4:46 AM

Daniel I think the problem is the focus on entertainment at the expense of theology and the Bible rather than the focus on joy.

Incidentally, not everyone expresses joy and happiness the same way. Sometimes solemnity and reverence is called for - especially when approaching God.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor at May 14, 2012 11:12 AM

Christopher... Still wondering how many of these churches you or Ann have been to. It's not entertainment, it's celebration and we focus more on the bible than any catholic church I've ever been in.

The variety of denominations of Christianity is a strength and not something that should be denigrated by the ignorant.

Posted by: Daniel at May 15, 2012 6:48 AM

Ann came out of protestant Christianity and is a Roman Catholic convert. Which explains her zeal.

Posted by: Jewel at May 15, 2012 9:32 AM