« The Powers of the People | Main | "Atoms or systems into ruin hurl'd, / And now a bubble burst, and now a world." »

February 20, 2011

State Tells Parents Baby Has to Die and Has to Die the Way the State Says

babybreathing.jpg

On orders from the Orwellian "Consent and Capacity Board:" Ont. couple's appeal to bring baby home dismissed
LONDON, Ont. — A Windsor, Ont. couple's fight to bring their gravely ill baby home to die ended in bitter tears Thursday when a Superior Court judge dismissed their appeal to stop doctors from removing the infant's breathing tube at the hospital.

The father and relatives of one-year-old Joseph Maraachli wept outside a London courthouse after an emotional Justice Helen Rady upheld the earlier decision of an independent provincial tribunal forcing the baby's parents to comply with doctors' orders.

....Maraachli and Nader went before the Consent and Capacity Board of Ontario, an independent body that deals with matters under the Health Care Consent Act, which sided with the doctors in late January and agreed that it was in Joseph's best interest to have the breathing tube removed.

That part about it being in "Joseph's best interest" is especially damning. But get ready because this is what your government has on the schedule for Americans. After all, once they can force you to wear a seat-belt, put on a helmet, stop smoking, etc because it is all in your "best interest," it's only a question of time before it is in your baby's "best interest" to have its breathing tube pulled. After all, who's going to stop it. You? You and what army?

Posted by Vanderleun at February 20, 2011 5:32 PM. This is an entry on the sideblog of American Digest: Check it out.

I think I just heard my heart break.

Posted by: mare at February 20, 2011 7:12 PM

Behold your free health care, suckers. Death panels with feelingness.

Posted by: Jewel at February 20, 2011 7:21 PM

Nah, there's no such thing as death panels. Sarah Palin is an idiot.

They're not death panels because we don't call them that.

Posted by: rickl at February 20, 2011 7:46 PM

I have no idea what I would do, but I would hope that I would pick up my baby, take him home, and keep him as comfortable as possible.

Screw the judge's decision. Let a jury decide.

I believe I would rather spend time in jail than not, knowing that I had let the state pull the tubes and strangle my baby while I just stood there.

Posted by: Lance de Boyle at February 20, 2011 8:52 PM

What are the Canadian courts and white coats afraid of--that his parents will spirit him to the United States whose health system will cure him?

Posted by: St. Thos at February 21, 2011 6:02 AM

I've got my own death panel assembled, if the need ever arises.
Mr Sam Colt, mssrs. Smith and Wesson, Heckler and Koch sit at my panel. Some bunch of bureaucrats decide it's my or a family members time to die, someone might very well decide the same about them.
Isn't it interesting that hospitals have been a restricted, "No Guns" area for quite a while now.
One can't help but wonder how long this BS has been in the works.

Posted by: China at February 21, 2011 3:26 PM