Wednesday, December 17 (Updated)
"It was Orville’s turn. At 10:34 on the windy morning of December 17, he piloted Flyer for a distance of 120 feet in 12 seconds." -- Humankind Takes Flight: The Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk, 105 Years Ago Today
Both hot: Cleopatra: The Real and The Ideal
Posted by Vanderleun at December 16, 2008 11:56 PM
- Attorney General in Waiting "Forgot" $300K Blago Job: Holder omitted Blagojevich link from questionnaire
Two simple words. Two simple words in the English language: "I forgot!" How many times do we let ourselves get into terrible situations because we don't say "I forgot"? Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, "I forgot armed robbery was illegal." Let's suppose he says back to you, "You have committed a foul crime. you have stolen hundreds and thousands of dollars from people at random, and you say, 'I forgot'?" - Steve Martin
- Rogue Republic: 5 Presidents Worse Than George W Bush [With a sixth warming up in the bullpen. I'd put my money on there being at least 25 presidents who will prove to be worse than Bush. The article doesn't even mention Carter, for example]
- Glenn Reynolds defines the odious Andrew Sullivan: "He was once a great blogger. Now he's a cautionary example."
- "Say what you want about Bush, he’s a cool cat." BDS defined, in a shoe-throwing @ The Anchoress
- Look's like the media is going to have to suck it up for 4 to 8 years. Quoth the Big-O: "Let me stop you right there because I don't want you to waste your question." The president-elect cuts off a questioner asking about Emanuel's contact with the governor at Tuesday's presser, reiterates his team's internal review will be released next week.
- Stock market's fear: Steve Jobs is dying plus Apple: Apple Announces Last Year at Macworld, No Jobs Keynote
- Read my lips, 88 new taxes: Trying to close a $15.4 billion budget gap, Paterson called for 88 new fees and a host of other taxes, including an "iPod tax" that taxes the sale of downloaded music and other "digitally delivered entertainment services." - Gov. David Paterson unveils dire New York State budget [Only the beginning, folks, only the beginning. VIA: Synthstuff ]
- Hard to say which sucks more, the headline or the hubris: Obama clears himself and staff in Blagojevich case - Los Angeles Times. [VIA: Velociman ]
- Fear not, tinfoil hat brigade. 'Magical' Gravity Wave Weapons No Threat, Panel Says -- Danger Room
- Arabs: If the Foo Shits "In the Arab world one can still act violently on a shoe string." -- American Thinker
- Long past time, we'd say: It's time to end the impunity of Human Rights Watch.
- The brilliant Kevin Kelly's new blog: New Rules for the New Economy [Where everything old - 1998 - is new again.]
- Varifrank: All this negotiating that's going on in Washington for the "Car Bailout" was nothing more than a macro version of the basic "car sale dance" that occurs in showrooms across the country.
- Fuck You, Penguin: This bear is essentially raping my soul
- Exurban League: How Obama can stop his slide. Replace Rahm Emanuel with the Iraqi Shoe-Throwing Guy.
- "All traitors think they are on the side of right."The Strata-Sphere ｻ Portrait Of A Benedict Arnold
- Who says there's no good news? Newsweek Will be Dead within Two Years, Not Five
- What would Lincoln do? 21st Century Abe
- Brutally Honest: Too BIG to Fail? Was the Titanic too BIG to fail? How about failure management instead of failure prevention?
- Comes the time when it's later and onto your table the Head Waiter puts the Reality Check.
- Yo, Zimbabwe! How's that self-rule thing working out? World Famous Wildlife Sanctuary in Zimbabwe Faces Closure VIA Planetsave
- Twitter: "The equivalent of a thought burp" - Art Fag City
- "At .11. I recite a lesson in "Pope's Essay on Man" which is merely transposition. At .12. I practice Calisthenics." Daily Routines How writers, artists, and other interesting people organize their days.
- Come back, Grissom, all is forgiven! The CSI Effect @ Neatorama
- "If you have any interest whatsoever in jellyfish — and, really, who doesn't?" NSF Reports on Jellyfish Gone Wild @ TreeHugger